• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless file sharing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xoligy

Ok the situation:

Main computer: has internet connection and i need file sharing
laptop: has more files i need lol

now im using the laptop for work and the internet mostly (as its not mine) now i need toi tranfer the files to the main computer to put what i need onto a disc but the computer isnt recognizing the network *scrathes head*

Now as ive said in a previous post im a newb to networks but im a quick learner and it will be helpful to know for future reference when i get my own laptop! does anyone know what could be up? if you require more info just ask ;)

First off a couple of quick questions:

What type of equipment, if any, have you setup to create a network?
Are you able to access the internet wirelessly using the laptop without any problems?
What OS is each PC using?
What exactly do you mean by "the computer does not recognize the network"? Is it that when you try to browse for other computers nothing shows up?

If you have no wireless router the easiest and cheapest way to transfer the files would simply be directly connecting them with a crossover cable. This works but while they are connected you wouldn't be able to access the internet.

If you already have them connected in a small network with a wireless router, and you have internet access on both I would say make sure you have run the Network setup wizard on both computers. You need to have file and printer sharing enabled on them both to be able to share files. By default this isn't setup. Depending on the OS version you are using there might also be some other problems, but we can go there later if needed.

thanks for replying anyway,

were using a dlink wireless router
i can access the internet through the laptop via the network with no problems
both have xp on one is on home the other pro

see below for what i mean
network.jpg

will i need the xp disc? if so i'll have to get it off someone

edit: double imaged

Last edited:
You need to make that file a shared file for one thing, just right click on the file and the fourth option down should be sharing and security. Open that up and share the file to start.
Looks like your able to see the other computer on the network so that should be all you have to do? I'm assuming the page your showing is from the desktop.

yea the file is already shared the person who deals with our computer when im not here has set it all up but there not accesable and i get that error

if i make a file called liam (myname) direct it to that file i still get no joy but i'll try again!

Edit: i goto the laptop>my network places>add new network place then when asked for the place i type \\halfmoon\liam yea? (the file is just c:\liam)

i got "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. please choose another"

tried to browse for it: entire network>mswindows network>mshome>halfmoon
hit a brick wall no files/folders

Last edited:
norton on the main rig and windows one on the lappy they have been set to allow networks tho

It looks to me like it is a problem with permissions. It is possible to have a folder or file shared, but the user account you are using doesn't have read/write permissions.

Check on the computer that is hosting the folder and see what the permissions are. They should be set so that whatever group you are in can read/write to it.

Also I think you might hit problems like that if you are trying to share the whole C:\ drive, and not a specific folder. Try creating a new folder on one of the PCs, and setting it up as a shared folder with all of the default options. Then try to access the new folder from the other computer and see what happens. Windows doesn't like it when you share an entire drive for security reasons, and this is doubly true when it is the same drive that has Windows installed to it.

i'll check the permissions and i have tried with seperate folders

Back