• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless internet help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

Hey,

Well i just got my laptop today (how sweet it is) but i'm been having problems getting wireless to work. Router is a linksys, and the card is a gigabyte, i've never dealt with wireless before spent few hours working on this with no luck so was hoping for a little help (or a link that could help)

Thanks alot.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Well, with out getting to long and confusing, I will assume you know how to log into your router and make changes. First thing you want to do to make this simple is log into the router, and change wireless settings to;

Broadcast SSID
Open System
No Encryption

Your wireless card on your laptop should be built in and use the windows xp client, if this is the case, you should get a message that says "One or more wireless networks are available, please click here to view networks"

Click on the little bubble, and it will open up another box that shows you the available networks. Usually you will only see one, yours, unless you live in an apt. or something where there could be mulitple AP's. So lets assume you only see one. Select the network that appears in this box. Click the button that says "connect" might take the computer a few seconds to connect and negotiate with the AP. After this, should get a little bubble that pops up above two little comptuers in the lower right hand corner of your screen.

If so it will say something like;

Connected to Linksys1023
Connection Very good
Speed 48mbps

After you get this window, check your IP address to verify that you have connected to the router and start surfing!

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
I assume router and card are same speeds (wireless) What kind of laptop? i just got a Dell and had to jump through a few hoops to get it running.

OP
ThePunkGeek

ThePunkGeek

Sager 5690
3.2 p4 /w ht 1gb ram 9700m uxga.
nice little laptop just no working internet.

both router and card are 54mbit/s i've never worked with wireless before and it isn't going so well.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
ThePunkGeek said:
right now i'm on my main comp. AMD [email protected] and i have 2 other amds in the house. They are all wired tho laptop is only one i want wireless for.

Right. but for my router I hooked it up via wired PC and was able to configure it as I needed to. Not sure but you may need to do that as well. Also, if you have one router for your other PC's, make sure you're connecting from that to your wireless router using the regular ports.....not the WAN or uplink. Had to do it that way on mine. I shoudl be on later tonight....anyone else?

TimDgsr

ThePunkGeek said:
both router and card are 54mbit/s i've never worked with wireless before and it isn't going so well.

802.11 a & g standards are both 54mbps, and are not compatible. so are they both a, or both g?

OP
ThePunkGeek

ThePunkGeek

I've been using this router for about 2 weeks, its all confiured to what i think is right, drivers are installed on the laptop, and its currently connected to the internet via cable. No matter what i've do tho i just can't find a wireless network...

i'd be grateful for any help thanks cw and everyone else

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
hmm, its really hard for us to help, or get really involved with out being there. Is there anyway you can put up some screen shots of your routers wireless settings page as well as your laptops wireless utility? That would help alot as we can see what we are dealing with.

OP
ThePunkGeek

ThePunkGeek

TimDgsr said:
802.11 a & g standards are both 54mbps, and are not compatible. so are they both a, or both g?

the wireless card is a,b,g ( i believe)

the router is b/g

I've tried changing the channel it runs on, andi've tried b and g mode, but i figure mixed would work fine.

Last edited:

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
On the screen shots the only thing that I see that could change is "Authentication" currently is set to Auto, change it to "open system"

Beyond that everything looks good. Its possible that you could have a bad router, and its not broadcasting its wireless signal, or a bad wireless card that is no picking up signals.

-edit, if you could post some screenies of the wireless card configuration as well.

TimDgsr

does the utility for the card have a disable/enable radio option? a lot of cards will let you turn it off for power saving when you're not around a wireless network.