• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless network and WINXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

armatage

I am using a Netgear MA101 wireless hub on windows XP and the ping rate every minute for a fraction of a second is shooting up. This doesn't cause too much trouble surfing the Internet but when playing games over the Internet it is causing a major problem.

I have a Netgear ME102 wireless access point to the network downstaires which is connected to the internet.

I was running under Win 2K and it was fine. I have all the latest drivers and updates.

Any ideas

That's a USB hub correct? That may explain your problem. USB is horrible as far as I'm concerned for networking. I've got one machine on a netgear USB ethernet adapter and file transfer speed is FAR less reliable and MUCH slower then when I was using an NIC in the PC. I would'nt recomend USB networking to anyone.
The only reason I use it in one of mine is the Motherboard in that PC is junk. None of the PCI slot's work. Only the AGP. So to network it for now I had to get a USB adapter. Just till I get around to buying a new motherboard (Even though it's been a few month's now). It's only really used for my wife's schooling so it's not that much of a priority to me or her as long as it's working.

I havent been able to find any. I get terrible transfer speed's with my USB ethernet adapter. I also lose the network connection after a short period of time if I try any sort of file transfer. It get's pretty annoying. Only thing it's really any good for is sharing my cable internet connection. Other then that it's junk!

Back