• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless network components.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sHape oF gReY

Ok here is the deal. MY neck of the woods is finaly getting a DSL provider and I'm looking into getting it. But the problem is im a coplete n00b when it comes to networking, so I thought I'd turn to you guys for help in some things.

I have a few questions concerning the components I need to set this up, because I have 4 computers that need to be able to access the internet thru that one DSL line, and I need it wiresless cause they're all over the hose and I dont want to be trippin over wires all the time :D .

1. Should I get a switch or a router to connect the DSL line to and the destribute to the rest of the machines, and what is a good brand of switch/router?

2. Wiresless NICs...whats a good brand/model?

3. What kind of security measures should i take? Upto this point I've been on dial-suck and I didnt really have to worry about attacks cause i didnt have a static IP and wast connected all the time, and that is hopefully about to change.

4. Is that all i need? Switch/Router and 4 Wireless NICs?

Any info would be much appreciated.
~peace

nerd4life

1) if you're going wireless grab a wireless cable/dsl router. i'd try to get one with a 4 port switch also. like this one.

2) i always stick to netgear or linksys. usually netgear for nics and linksys for router, but im just weird. you'll probably want 802.11g instead of 802.11b. 802.11g is a bit faster and i think it has longer range.

3) im no expert, but with the router you'll be running behind NAT. as far as i understand it is really hard for hackers to find ports open to any of your computers when doing this. been running isdn and cable for years behind nat, havent had a problem yet. (that i know of =P)

4) 4 nics and router is all you need. keep in mind, if a computer is in the same room as the router, save yourself some money and hardwire it. normal nics run 10$ or so while wireless is 50ish.