• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Networking Security

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If wep worked, securing wireless lans would be alot less grizzly. But because wep is flawed, you have to take it to the next level in the osi (vpn, something like nocat) if you want to be really secure.

I'd definitely agree with you there. It's really a shame. But I guess it's a start, especially for the home user ...

Thanks again! -- Paul

Nice article.... I am/was virtually clueless about Wireless networking and security. Now I know a little more, I probably get involved in the near future and connect all the various boxes I have around the house, including my recently bought ReplayTV :)

Thanks for some great info.

Ardent

edit: btw, shouldnt this be a sticky?

Couldn't believe this isn't stickied. Bumping it up to hope a mod sees it and can maybe sticky it as it has been extremely useful, and also to make it easier to find while I am still using it heeh.

Aktunka said:
Couldn't believe this isn't stickied. Bumping it up to hope a mod sees it and can maybe sticky it as it has been extremely useful, and also to make it easier to find while I am still using it heeh.

Same Here! Great resource Macklin!

Last edited:
orion25 said:

Same Here! Great resource Mbentley!

hehe i found this thread in a search that i did. it didn't turn up what i was looking for, but the info in here was too good to let this thread die. i checked the stickies to see if it was one, but i couldn't believe that this was passed over...

i say stickify this thread! :D

A thread like this should never die a quiet death ;)

Paul (or any others for that matter)-- In your write-up, you talk a fair amount about WEP encryption, but I was wondering if you have heard anything/have any experience with using the newer WPA encryption.

I'd like to set up a wireless network before too long, but I'd like to find a router that uses WPA encryption and offers a fair amount of functionality. I'd also like to find one that's not too expensive (think home user :)). Does anyone know of a good router that fits these needs?

Thanks!

Back