• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Notebook Adapter question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

k0r34nguy

I am wondering if using a wireless notebook adapter would increase range for wireless connectivity compared to internal wireless. I am wondering because I don't get very good connection (get disconnected quite often) in my room where as in my sister's room (closer to router) has fine connection with internal wireless. Would using a wireless notebook adapter such as the D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G High Speed increase my range for better connection?

JerMe

From my experience (with centrino laptops), getting a different card won't make a difference. Using the "high speed" G cards won't help, since their gimmic is geared towards file xfer speed between computers, not increasing/solidifying the connection itself (this is a white lie... for the Dlinks, there is an eXtended Range mode that I'm not a big fan of, since it never helped me in getting a better signal.)

Is your sister on the cordless phone a lot? Do you use those energy-saving spiral fluoresent bulbs? These interfere with the wireless signal, since both the phone and the wireless router run on the same frequencies, and the bulbs interfere a little too. You might look into getting a higher gain antenna for your router, or purchasing a repeater if your signal woes continue.

A more extreme approach would be to invest in one of the newer MIMO routers and the MIMO cards - these offer a wider wireless range, without the interference of 2.4GHz devices.

Hope this helps.

JerMe

That repeater should help in boosting the signal around the house. Is your room really far from the router? I'd try to figure out if there's any interference first before dropping $75 on a repeater.

four4875

you could replace the minipci wireless card in the laptop with a better one. there are some higher powered options, check http://www.wisp-router.com/index.php?cPath=35_51

and you can search around for others, the laptop's internal antennas should be with u.fl connectors. it may be possible to change out an antenna, but it would likely be a big trouble. i want to put a couple simple omnis in the back of the top cover of my lappy, then run the coax down through the hinges and all, but i havnt gotten around to it. (lack of motivation to tearmy lappy completely apart lol)

you might also try changing the operating channel of the router, see if that helps, or get a better higher gain antenna on the router. theres many options on wisp-router, just get an omni, probably want to stick to vertical polarization, and get as high of gain as you can with pigtail to connect it to router.

any chance you could move the router to something more centrally located?