• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KeepItCool101

Hey i need to find a wireless router for my home network.. I was leaning toward the D-link DI-624 since ive heard good things about them.. Will i notice any negative impacts on my connection using wireless??

EDIT: Will i be able to run games with the same performance?

Last edited:

Know Nuttin

for internet, you shouldn't unless you have an extremely poor signal. If you are transferring files internally from one comp to another, it would be slower for sure when using wirelessly.

Jason

I work for a broadband ISP, and based on the experiences of myself and many coworkers, I'd seriously recommend almost anything BUT a D-Link router. Netgear would be about the best- about $70 for the wireless G variant at Newegg. Linksys would be a reluctant 2nd choice. And whatever you do, don't use any MAC address cloning if you want to stay online.

drenader

You ma have more experience than me, but i have not had any problems with my dlink wireless router. Maybe im lucky though, who knows, your the one that works for "a broadband isp".

Dre

Jason

Whoa- didn't mean to be insulting or anything. They are wonderful products, and generally tend to work fine. Troubleshooting various brands of routers connected to our cable modems, though, have showed 2 disturbing trends: D-Link routers seem to be more prone to problems releasing and renewing their WAN IP address- a situation which, in the case of our company, is against our Acceptable Use Policy- when it failes to release and renew, it keeps it's old IP, as if it's set with a static IP. This is bad because it knocks another of our subscribers, who should have that IP, offline.

The other disturbing thing is that, almost without fail, D-Link routers seem to be pingable on their WAN interface. I've never seen another router allow echo responses from their WAN port. Kind of disturbing from a security standpoint.

Aside from those 2 things, I have no problem with D-Link products. I use a D-Link wireless card. But I do stay away from at least their current products. Same as I tend to stay away from Linksys- once upon a time, their routers had troubles with internet gaming and port forwarding.

But hey, we all have our own experiences with hardware, and we should be our own recommendation. Just thought I'd share my $.02

OP
K

KeepItCool101

well then what do you suggest?? Linksys is a little be weary now, their site ALWAYS gets hacked.. thats convincing

Jason

I use a Netgear and have been happy with it. Also heard decent things about the newer SMC routers, though I've never met any in person.

OP
K

KeepItCool101

I think im gonna go with the D-Link Airplus XtremeG, Maximum PC reviewed and gave it a 9, saying it has good security and has awesome transfer rates.. I'm gonna look at a few more reviews and make my decision..

OP
K

KeepItCool101

the only thing im worried about is getting wireless and it will be trash, as in instability, poor game performance and download/uploading