• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless router and pci card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woody29

hi...

can anyone help...i'm getting broadband installed soon for the desktop pc first, then the laptop later,and hopefully have the two network together. but due to the cable entry point to the house and to where my pc is situated having wired connection would be very difficult and untidy, so wireless would be the ideal solution.
i read about all the network stuff and still trying to fully understand, but i now know i need to get a 54Mbps wireless router and wireless pci card, or faster......then the wireless cardbus later for the laptop.
what brand/make would be the best buy...?????

what would any experienced wireless/network users buy

thanks for any advice....in advance if any :)

Tebore

Linksys has great reliable products. My router has been running for 6 months without a hiccup. I have a B protocol based wireless network. The dlink series is interesting that it is able to burst up to 112mbps on the G protocol.

mtnbikerjerry

Theoretically they are not really achieving 112mb/sec. It may show it on your network connect status.

There is a tool out there, that shows true Wireless speeds. He can just get by with 54G until that 112mb/sec has been worked out of its bugs.

OP
Woody29

Woody29

thanks guys for your reply....would a 54Mbps be quick enough for 1/2 mb cable broadband...?
Are they easy to setup like people say it is...?

Tebore

A Normal 11Mbps connection would be enough tho you might a slightly higher ping when gaming with like 4 computers over a normal wired situation. If you don't plan on transfering gigs of files then 54 is fine.

Tebore

Oh forgot to mention it's easy to set up just follow the Wizards built in to router.
Check out the stickie in this forum they are useful. Too bad this isn't a sticky but it's got great info on how to secure your wireless network.