• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless router as access point?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

Can use my Linksys wireless N router now that I have FIOS that uses it's own router? I have a basement that my sister is living in and she can't get a signal with her laptop without plugging it in to the wire I have down there.

Trap05

Yes you can in fact a lot of routers have access point mode right in the web configuration. Refer to your manual for instructions.

Mr.Guvernment

turn off DHCP and tadda, manually set an IP on it, plug a cable into the LAN port to your router, and your wireless should go through it to getthe IP from the FIOS router.

OP
agentbad

agentbad

O word yeah I read a few guides and hooked everything up but couldn't get the actiontec router to pick up my linksys router. Took a little while but realized my sisters laptop was using the same IP as the linksys router. Sorted that out and I think everything is working all gravy now. My only hitch though not a big deal is the linksys router doesn't seem to support WPA but WEP instead where the actiontec supports WPA and WEP. The linksys though does have support PSK which I read is better. I wonder if I still match up the SSID and the wireless key would it matter if they use different encryptions?

Gracias,

agent

OP
agentbad

agentbad

WRT150N I believe. I got everything working now thanks for the help.

Last edited: