• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless USB won't connect to router.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stavros

I don't know where to start troubleshooting this problem. when I scroll over the Network Connections icon in the bottom right corner of XP Pro it says "Speed: 54.0 Mbps; Connection Strength: Excellent". The USB adapter is an AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless 108G USB Adapter, so I know the connection speed is supposed to be double what it is. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem?

four4875

so its connecting, but not at 108 mbps?

what brand / model is he router? it might not be compatible with the extreme g stuff.

does the card have software that goes with it to manae its connection, a seperate utility not just drivers.

OP
Stavros

Stavros

Well, technically it's a gateway for our DSL, but it's a Westell 327W. The USP Adapter does have a CD that came with it and I installed the drivers, but I think the CD only has drivers on it. The CD lists (on the front): Drivers, Quick Install Guided and Manual, so I don't really know about it having software.

jajmon

So you are connecting at 54, to get the 108 you need and airlink router. That's generally the way it is with wifi, like equipment to get the 'speed' You can't mix and match.

ticktock123

are you sure the connection that your trying to get to is at the speed that you want...or does that even matter? i can't remember if a card will say it is at 108 when it is only connected to a 54. Other then that try to see if there is any sort of update for the drivers and maybe try using XP's Repair tool for wireless

four4875

i doubt the access point supports the 108 mbps extreme. only way to utilise it is to get a router of the same brand that supports the same features. is there other coputers on the network you're ding file transfers with? if not, i doubt you're losing out on anytihng, as i have yet to see a residential DSL connection that will push about 40 mbps (what 54 mbps G will do after overheads) let alone more that would require a faster wireless connection.

OP
Stavros

Stavros

I had the sneaking suspicion of needing same brand router. It's not so much speed than the fact that I can't connect at all to the Westell. I think 54 Mbps would be fast enough for gaming (I'm not that hardcore although I do <3 my games). I just really don't want to have to run the ugly blue Ethernet cord over the linoleum into my room. People trip over it as it is, so wifi was the option. I'm starting to think the Westell doesn't support the D-Link adapter and Dad already burnt the box, so dad'll be ****ed if he finds out that it doesn't work. I'm aggrivated that I talked dad into blowing 60 bucks on a part that won't work.

ticktock123

damn dude i feel for ya...i made my parents buy a new thing of XP because the computer wouldn't boot (had ME :S ) so they did and installed it and i fig out later that i forgot my damn Floppy disk in the drive and it wasn't a bootable. So yeah i would feel safe is saying we do ltos of stupid things in life...

OP
Stavros

Stavros

Maybe I should talk him into getting a D-Link router. Or I could just buy it. Do you still Use ME? PM me if you do I have something you might want.