• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Witcher on Steam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mooyo

I picked it up and it's been a pretty good game so far. Definitely worth it when it was only ~$15 or so.

WayOut

I'm not feeling this game. I got it the first time it was on sale for $13.50 (a week or so ago) and got through until I battled that wizard guy in the ring he setup in the lab, where he keeps calling you a ***** until you kill him. I was genuinely bored at that point. Please tell me that game gets better eventually? I've stopped playing it to finish Bioshock, Borderlands, Burnout Paradise, and to play a little MWLL. I'm really hoping my $15 wasn't all a waste..

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

I am not that far so I cant comment. The game has won a lot of awards and from what ive seen a lot of people have enjoyed playing it. That being said, my friends have tried to get me to play games that they loved and I went Meh. I attribute it to being a jaded gamer. Maybe this game doesn't do anything for you...ive been there before. I have gotten spoiled by playing too many games over the years.

WayOut

Yeah, I mean, I've got five or so friends that are ecstatic over the Witcher. Everyone else who has it loves it. I just cannot get into it whatever. It's all linear so far, the combat system is pretty boring, and the story seems pretty bland to where I've gotten.

pejsaboy

WayOut, are you still in Kaer Morhen taking care of the invasion that happens as soon as the game starts? If that's the case, you're still [basically] in the tutorial portion of the game. And yes, it's pretty boring at that point. That in mind, the game is still an RPG, action oriented though it is. You WILL do a lot of running back and forth through areas you've ran back and forth through a dozen times. You will probably do some grinding quests where you have to kill x number of y creature and provide proof for reward. If you want to max out levels and stuff, you WILL do a lot of quests where you kill x number of creature y and provide proof. I won't lie, the game has a fairly linear story, but there is at least one point where you will make a choice between two options that will affect the story line. I don't know if it effects the overall plot in a way that provides multiple endings, but it will at least change a portion of the game. I have not yet played through both options. Main plot aside, there are definitely sub plots that seem unrelated initially, but end up tying into the overall movement of the story.

In regards to the combat system, give it time. While it is basically a matter of timing your mouse clicks, it gets better as you level up and invest more in your combat talent trees. You'll add more attacks, more powerful attacks, and there will be a point where your attacks can be augmented by your signs if you spend enough points in them. It's not a tough system to master by any means, but watching Geralt pull off high level attacks and seeing most of your encircled enemies drop at various points along the combo string is pretty rewarding, IMO.

Also, no matter what difficulty you're playing on, it will be very useful to spend talent points toward alchemy related skills when you can. Buy as many books as you can afford as well, you'll need those recipes. There are a lot of mildly useful potions, but there are a small number of potions that are nearly indispensable.

So here's the deal. It's an action RPG. It is linear, but it isn't first-person-shooter linear. It isn't as open as something like Fallout 3, but allows you to spend a lot of time on things that aren't necessary to the game. If you want, you can become a pro fist-fighter and/or dice poker player. Those have nothing to do with the plot, but were a fun distraction for me. As far as I'm concerned it's the best modern RPG out there, but I've not spent much time on Fallout 3 yet, and haven't picked up Mass Effect or Dragon Age either. Dragon Age has potential to dethrone the Witcher on my list, but I'm not sure FO3 or Mass Effect could since I'm more inclined to the Fantasy genre as opposed to sci-fi or post-apocalyptic. Not that they're bad by any means, just not what I enjoy the most.

If you're into Fantasy settings and RPGs in general, try to hang in there with Geralt and see if his story grows on you. Even if Fantasy and RPGs aren't your primary interest, you could still end up enjoying the hell out of it. It does seem to be one of those love it or hate it games due to the combat system though, so don't kick yourself too hard if you just can't get into it.

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

I'm not feeling this game. I got it the first time it was on sale for $13.50 (a week or so ago) and got through until I battled that wizard guy in the ring he setup in the lab, where he keeps calling you a ***** until you kill him. I was genuinely bored at that point. Please tell me that game gets better eventually? I've stopped playing it to finish Bioshock, Borderlands, Burnout Paradise, and to play a little MWLL. I'm really hoping my $15 wasn't all a waste..
Oh....i geddit...thats at the very beginning, dude...give it time. Its a lot better when u get out of the tutorial.

Angel-of-Sorrow

I got it too. Been playing little by little.
I basically just got my first level and brought up the skills and what not and was floored 'cause I had no idea where to start. There is a ton of stuff to choose from and I'm not sure what will be good yet. I'll probably look into it before adding much so I don't get stuck with crap.

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

Spoiler alert!
I saw Zolton in the temple quarter and got a witcher sword from him...but i dont see it in my inventory. I started out w/ a silver sword and witcher sword and expected to get something better from him. After the convo w/ him nothings changed in my inv. Same two swords. Did I misread the dialogue?

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

How do i get my swords forged? I am at the Dwarven Blacksmith in the temple quarter and I have 2 runes and 3 pieces of meteor. When I click the forge option a inventory window opens w/ options to buy...very confuzzling!

pejsaboy

There's not actually a forging process, you basically buy the sword and it takes the ingredients out of your inventory. Sorry, I don't recall the conversation where Zoltan gives you a sword.

Angel-of-Sorrow, as long as you don't completely neglect your combat styles in favor of signs you'll be okay no matter where you place points. You might be able to survive with heavily studied signs [primarily aard and igni] and your combat focused toward group styles, but I personally played a combat heavy character with Stat upgrades, and only really added talents onto aard for knocking down groups of enemies. I think on my next play through, whenever I get around to it, I'm going to do the opposite and actually upgrade all of the signs and rely on them and stats with just enough combat training to do a halfway decent amount of damage. Of course, no matter which you focus on you gotta make potions to keep your butt alive and filled with energy to fling signs :)