• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

woah... like... silent!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

four4875

i just took out all of the fans from my case... even PSU.. its quiet as... well.. i cant hear it!. (its a P1, and stays plenty cool on its own, V7 HS. the PSU i just held the fan to see how it sounds. gonne be water coolin it soon (yes, water coolin a PSU! WOOT!

i was just amazed how quiet my hard drive is, and its the first time i didnt hear the PC i was usin.

D $hady

Wow. I'm afraid my computer would melt into one big blob if I took all the fans out. I've got a new case on the way so I'm hoping that'll be a bit quieter than what I've got now.

Definitely post pics when you're done watercooling the PSU. Sounds like dangerous fun! :)

-- Dave

mirko_3

I'd love to watercool my PS... there was an article somewhere... but it stressed the dangers so much that... well, I just gave up halfway through the article... good luck!

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
I really don't think there's a need to watercool a psu, you just throw a 20dba fan in there and it's basically silent.

G33k

See, you say that Ben, but how much of your machine is water-cooled? I'm guessing CPU, maybe GPU at the most. It's all very relative and the more you water-cool, the more you notice stuff that you previously thought was "silent". Lots of people say the same about hard disks - "No need to silence them because I can't here them over my xxx fan".

It's a slippery slope :)

james.miller

well, g33k, i can tell you now that my hdd is the loudest part of my pc, and i have 3 fans running (2 80mm fans: one cpu, one psu and 1 60mm fan on my gpu). would water-cooling make it quieter? course not.........

Last edited:

eplayer87

Registered
I've switched all my fans off before and wow did I get a rude awakening! MY HDD IS LOUD! I've never noticed before but when I first put it in I wondered why I couldn't hear the hdd seeking...now I know...sorta like a high-pitched whine

G33k

Okay, water-cooling your hard disk wouldn't make it quieter, but putting it in a sealed box, lined with foam certainly will. And the only way you'll keep it cool then is with water! So yes, with water-cooling, you can make your disk quieter :D

If you meant that water-cooling wouldn't make the rig ingeneral quieter, well, you're just plain wrong :) I run my machine with only 2x120mm panaflows at 5v (I've run passively before too) - I'd put money on that being quieter than your system with 3 fans :)

Last edited:

V8gent

Registered
four4875 said:
its a P1, and stays plenty cool on its own, V7 HS.

your post makes little sense.

are you saying that you're cooling your P1 with a V7? please explain.

Yuriman

I was cooling a pentium 1 with a V6, but now its a k6-2, and next week it will be a k6-3. Who knows where it will go next! Also, my WC system is loud as.... very loud. 50 sumthin decibels, cause i got a huge 150cfm+ server class 120mm fan. I tried undervolting it and it wouldnt spin.

Koenraad

Registered
D $hady said:
Wow. I'm afraid my computer would melt into one big blob if I took all the fans out.
-- Dave

I had a P1 166mhz and it was only cooled by a masive HS, no fan. Worked fine. now it has got a K6 200mhz with a small HS and a fan. I only use it to surf and Kazaa, its on nearly all of the time. no problems so far.

just wondering, would it be possible to oc an old cpu like a P1 or a K6? anybody ever tried that?

G33k

I've not tried it, but it'd certainly be possible. I used to run my Slot-A Athlon (750) at 963Mhz and 2.05v passively for a few weeks :cool: I put a fan back on the rad though, because I wasn't comfortable about running at 70 degrees (the tubing went disturblingly soft!) :eek:

My point is that if I can run a stupidly hot processor like that overclocked, passiveley (well, apart from the pump i mean ;) ), then a K6-2 should be no problem at all.

[Edit] Or did you just mean is it possible to overclock them at all? You can definitely overclock K6-2's - our smoothwall router gained a whole 33Mhz, pushing it up to 233 ;)[/Edit]

cV

There are a lot of articles on the front page of this very site bringing to light diminishing returns.

Fans are just like that; from very noisy to medium is a huge gain, and from medium to quiet is good as well. Beyond that it just gets ridiculous.

A HDD, even in a foam box, would still be louder - in a fanless system, it would be the sole thing you would hear, and being such it would be annoying. I have a D740X - It's one of the quietest, coolest HDDs around - and with most fans at 5v, its seeking/spinning is annoying. Drowning that out with fans makes the annoyance factor much, much lower. ;)

G33k

When I ran passively, i could still here a slight rumble from my Barracuda I, but my Barracuda IV was silent - even running sandra on it, I really can't hear it!

Mikoto

Registered
Try a couple WD 5,400 drives in RAID 0. That is silent and performs well enough. I can't hear mine no matter the operation, even when the house is dead silent.They're cheap too. 5,400 drives are very quiet and much more reliable to boot. My rig is pretty silent too, L1a's and such... I'll probably always keep one if only for archiving purposes. Till SSD's become mainstream that is.