• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wohoo... hit 185 Bclk.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

Ok, the Bios upgrade changed the game. A bunch of new settings, they fixed the first screen that you could only exit out of by rebooting. They gave an option for xq VID voltages (looks like you can preset your Vdroop?) and they fixed the not being able to set the X21 Multiplier.

I managed to get my i5 750 Prime stable.

Unfortunately, I had to juice it up to max 1.55.

CPUz shows 1.542-1.560 during tests. Temps Hit 88 during Prime, 28 Idle.

I know the volts and temps could be lower, but with 8GB of RAM, I don't have much of a choice.

Memory timings are 740MHz 8-8-8-21-1T. I tried with 7-7-7 but memory benches actually were faster with 8s.

Gonna run this way for a week and see how it handles all my programs.

I don't think that the temps will bother me too bad since I don't run this maxed speed all the time. I stopped folding on this machine because its my HTPC/Main PC and the GF uses it too.

When turbo kicks in I get 4440MHz, woot!

WPrime 32M 9.328 Seconds. - Super Pi 9.851s

I would have really liked to try running this non-turbo, but for some reason it just runs hot with turbo turned off.

Last edited:

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
umm yea cpuv is really high...

i only needed around 1.3v to hit 3.8ghz on a i7 860. i still have a i5 750 i havent touched yet... how do you know the oc with turbo on is stable? using superpi for a 1m run isnt going to cut it... find the single core version of prime95, then rotate to each core with turbo on. that is after it runs for your amount time you want, ie 4hr/8hr/24hr,etc.

OP
Brutal-Force

Brutal-Force

I ran it for an hour on Prime 95, and Passed Intel Burn Test.

I will try with single core version of prime though.

As for voltages, I think its my 8GB of Ram that is causing me to need such high volts. With only 4 Gigs in its a different ball of wax.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
right you cpu might have passed at 3.5/3.6 testing all cores.... you have to look at turbo mode though as well since your using it...

you need to find a balance and IMO 1.5v+ is not in the balance...

OP
Brutal-Force

Brutal-Force

Well right now I am running @200X20 Non-turbo. Idle at about 29, In Prime Mid 80s, CPUv 1.48V.

One thing I did was rechecked my Ram, not sure if it makes a difference, but I had the two pairs, not paired up with each package in 1-3, 2-4. I didn't know if it made a difference that I just plopped all 4 Dimms in and didn't think about the "Pair-edness"

I will continue running prime @200X12 with turbo off. One problem I seem to have is, If I turn off all of the power saving options like C1E, Cstates and EIST. My CPU tends to hover around 40+ degrees at idle. While Priming it doesn't really get any hotter than usual though.

Any Ideas?

Boulard83

You really should be able to run 3.8-4ghz with less than 1.4v. 1.48 is way to high.

If you really need, you got the worst 750 ive ever seen.

VQpi/Dram ?
Pll ?
Vdram ?

Lower your Ram timing and try to find where your CPU can sit happyli.

OP
Brutal-Force

Brutal-Force

If I put my Voltage to Auto, I set my Bclk to 200 X 20.

Auto Volts: 1.360V at idle 1.392V Under load from either Prime or IBT. At this voltage, it is barely semi stable.

I have all energy saving functions as well as turbo turned off. (I still haven't figured out why with these turned off my CPU idles at 40°C and it ****es me off)

I run and fail IBT and Prime. Not immediately, but prime after about 5 min. on 1 worker, then it continues. At 30 min. only the 1 has failed. IBT Fails.

Temperatures Under load are 40°C Idle, 84°C Max Load (average about 81°C)

QPI/Vtt: 1.10V

CPU PLL: 1.88V

VDram: 1.5 Stock for Ripjaw 1600 (Odd I have yet to be able to run RAM at 1600, any more than 1400 doesn't seem to work for me even with timings loosened to 10ish)

Last edited:

Boulard83

Raise your Qpi/Dram volts.

Heres a shot of my Bios. Its not a P55 but the Qpi/Dram works the same way.

Bios03.jpg

OP
Brutal-Force

Brutal-Force

Yeah, mine are roughly what yours are. My problems seem like more glitches than actual overclocking problems.

Problem #1:

With Power saving functions like C1E, C-States, EIST Turned off, the Idle Temperatures are about 10-12 Degrees Warmer (40°C) but I can hit higher Bclks 200-210.

With Power saving functions like C1E, C-States, EIST Enabled, the Idle Temperatures are 28°C, but I am limited to 175-185 Bclk.

Problem #2:

With Turbo Mode running, I can't go higher than 175 Bclk. But with it Disabled I can go to 200 Bclk.

Problem #3:

With Auto Vcore, my computer needs 1.3604V-1.392V to maintain (not perfect) stability @ 200 X 20.

With Manual Vcore, If I set any value between 1.36-1.4, the computer will not boot to windows.

Note: the same pretty much applies to any settings. Its as if the Auto reported Voltages in CPUz are inacurate. In the Bios, it shows about 1.3V next to whatever setting I have.

Problem #4

I have 8 GB of DDR3 1600 Gskill Ripjaw. With 8 GB installed it takes almost maxed voltages to get my i5 near stable. If I install only 4 GB, I can get about another 200MHz out of it, but either way Voltages are near max 1.55V Vcore.

I believe I just have a crappy i5, because I have systematically gone through Hundreds of combinations. I am going to start logging this on a spreadsheet because at this point, I no longer remember what all I have tried.

I have successfully run Prime stable 200 Bclk X20 [email protected] 1.56V, It gets a little warm (might upgrade to a better cooler at a later point). I have also run 185 Bclk X 24 Turbo @ 1.56V. I think it just requires that I have that much Vcore. Since its not an option to trade it in for anything, I may just go and run it at 1.56V until it dies and then just upgrade to a i7 860 off the Classifieds when somone sells a known good OCer.

OP
Brutal-Force

Brutal-Force

What do you recommend setting them too? And as long as I am asking, what does it do? Isn't it similar to North Bridge Voltage?

From what I am reading for the i7, most people seem to have 1.35-1.4V Qpi/Vtt Set.

Also what is the deal with XMP. Do I have to run my RAM at 1.65 to take advantage of the full 1600 on my RAM? Would this possibly help my overclock?

Last edited:

Boulard83

Like Asus name it, its the QPI/DRAM core voltage. To keep it simple its the link between the CPU and the Memory.

Boulard83

The intel spec limit is 1.35v

Most ppl in the 4ghz run the QPI @ ~1.3v. It can be lower, or higher, but you really need to mess with it to OC. its tha base ...

OP
Brutal-Force

Brutal-Force

I have read a few things that may be an issue. For example like you said the QPI/Vtt should be about 1.35, although some people have run it as high as 1.4V. This is however on i7s, so it may not be applicable.

Also, the QPI Link should be double the RAM speed. If it is not this could cause instability. Unfortunately I am at work right now and can't test my theory. Also, if anyone could answer. Does my Ram have to be set at 1.64V to be able to utilize the 1600MHz or should it be able to run this at stock?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
ok sorry this is a pet peeve of mine... LGA1156 doesn't use QPI buss it uses DMI. i know, it is in the bios and cpuz. both bios and cpuz are wrong with regards to that. we have had intel P55/H55/H57 chipset diagrams out for a while now showing it being called DMI. can we at least try to fix this misnomer.

SamSaveMax

I had to raise my Dram to 1.64v as specs required when it's near or at its limits in order to be stable.
BTW, my ddr3 doesn't seem to go over its specs very much.

OP
Brutal-Force

Brutal-Force

Sorry Evil.... if it says, QPI, its hard to break the habit. Also, until you told me this.... I did not know. Dang... Gigabyte fix this already.... sheesh.

I will do another round of overclocking after work. I hope my new info helps me.