• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wondering about Arctic Silver's II strength

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anarki_gr

I have a TNT2 M46 which gets really really really hot after an hour of quake2 or any other game. I have an old sink with a nice fan from my pentiumMMX. It's kinda big and would be perfect for my card. But will some Arctic Silver II be able to hold it in place? I'm afraid that it may fall of and if this happens then it 'll be fried faster than a burger would in any fast food :).
plz help me!

yes it will fall off. You need something to hold the sink in place. four drops of super glue on the corners of the chip with AS2 in the middle will hold it. I don't recommend the AS adhesive though.

If I'm not mistaken, William is referring to Arctic Silver Epoxy when he said he doesn't recommend AS adhesive.

--BrianC

First of all, memory heatsinks dont really do anything exept make ur card look damn fine. And yes(second of all), the Arctic Silver Epoxy should be fine for the memory heatsinks, as they are much lighter then the HSF on the GPU.

I don't think coz like you say your chip is very hot and hot made everything, also AS II, more fluid, it's better to put four drops of every kind of cyanoacrilate glue in the corner and AS II in the middle.

i don't recommend AS adhesive because it is a )(&)(&(&Q_&#&%_@(^_Q(#&%^_)Q*& to get off. I had a water block on a northbridge attached using the adhesive, i tore the northbridge off. The super glue trick should be more than good enough. Artic Silver and Artic Silver have no adhesive properties to them, so they won't hold anything in place.

If you mix it up with Artic silver it weekens the bond and is supposed to make removal easier. There are several ways of breaking teh epoxy bond, freezing it helps due to it forming a brittle crystal structure and according to spodes review it apparantly comes apart quite easily under water, though I doubt you want to submerse your board to get it off :)

William (Jun 14, 2001 06:05 p.m.):
i don't recommend AS adhesive because it is a )(&)(&(&Q_&#&%_@(^_Q(#&%^_)Q*& to get off. I had a water block on a northbridge attached using the adhesive, i tore the northbridge off.

LOL! :) Sorry William but that's why they call it an adhesive. It's supposed to form a permanant bond.

Back