• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wondering what else, if anything, I should upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

The build in my signature is current. Planning to jump to 16GB of RAM, a 1060 6GB, and probably gonna grab another of the Asus monitor I have so I can get rid of this damn TV. I'm looking for suggestions on a better case, not looking to spend more than $100 on that, and would greatly prefer it be black and white, gray/silver and white, or gray/silver and black. Doesn't matter which color is on the inside or outside to me. Is there anything else I should consider upgrading/buying, for convenience or otherwise?

One thing I will note about the GPU and monitor is I found a $100 75Hz FreeSync monitor listed on PcPartPicker recently, so I might jump to AMD so I can grab that instead of a second Asus monitor. I was thinking 580, but is there any reason to go Vega 56? I don't really game above 1080p, 1440p monitors are still too expensive for me.

Adding another 8GB could help in some applications just be sure to get the same Ballistix or even try and sell the kit you have and go to a 2x8 kit.

A 1060 over your 1050Ti will only give you a very mild boost in gaming at 1080. While the 1060 does have a little more vRam the clocks should be damn close. I'm not sure the upgrade would be worth the investment, but naturally the choice is yours.

As far as the case goes, what is it that you're looking to upgrade on it? What is this case lacking that you want? Are you just looking for a new look? considering water cooling in the future? Case choice is very subjective to user preference.

Any thought of jumping to a Ryzen 5 1600(x)? I'm not sure how many cores you're utilizing but this could be a nice area for a decent gain as well. Just a thought.

Gpu amd RAM is about it. I also wouldn't go 1050ti to 1060 as the difference is quite small. 1070 or vega 56 or bust.

The build in my signature is current. Planning to jump to 16GB of RAM, a 1060 6GB, and probably gonna grab another of the Asus monitor I have so I can get rid of this damn TV. I'm looking for suggestions on a better case, not looking to spend more than $100 on that, and would greatly prefer it be black and white, gray/silver and white, or gray/silver and black. Doesn't matter which color is on the inside or outside to me. Is there anything else I should consider upgrading/buying, for convenience or otherwise?

One thing I will note about the GPU and monitor is I found a $100 75Hz FreeSync monitor listed on PcPartPicker recently, so I might jump to AMD so I can grab that instead of a second Asus monitor. I was thinking 580, but is there any reason to go Vega 56? I don't really game above 1080p, 1440p monitors are still too expensive for me.

As mentioned 1050ti -> 1060 6GB isn't much of a performance boost. I'd recommend with the prices down grabbing a GTX 1080 instead for 100-200 more than the 1060 depending on models.

If you're upgrading ram then don't skimp on speed, ryzen likes fast ram. I'd recommend 3200 MHz 16GB (2x8).

Then grab an additional monitor down the road. 4K 144 Hz HDR monitors are starting to come out, means a few things.

1. Next wave of GPU will be push for that level at medium settings at minimum.
2. 1440p (under 120Hz) monitors will come down in price.
3. 1080p 144Hz monitors are going to become quite a bit more affordable.

So with that in mind, I recommend getting the better GPU and holding out for the next wave of GPUs to buy a new monitor that you can game on @ 1080p 144Hz high-ultra settings with the gtx 1080.

Just my 2 cents.

Adding another 8GB could help in some applications just be sure to get the same Ballistix or even try and sell the kit you have and go to a 2x8 kit.

A 1060 over your 1050Ti will only give you a very mild boost in gaming at 1080. While the 1060 does have a little more vRam the clocks should be damn close. I'm not sure the upgrade would be worth the investment, but naturally the choice is yours.

As far as the case goes, what is it that you're looking to upgrade on it? What is this case lacking that you want? Are you just looking for a new look? considering water cooling in the future? Case choice is very subjective to user preference.

Any thought of jumping to a Ryzen 5 1600(x)? I'm not sure how many cores you're utilizing but this could be a nice area for a decent gain as well. Just a thought.

I was actually thinking of the 1500X. I'm not sure I'd fully utilize a six core CPU, but looking at price difference I'm thinking I might as well, especially with the better cooler.

As far as case goes, mostly just a new look, and a side panel window. I might watercool eventually, but it's not a possibility budget-wise at the moment. Was thinking about the S340, for the window and PSU shroud.

Back