• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wondering which way to go with my next PC purchase.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

So recently I've been in a whole mess of trouble with my personal life that left the bank account just a tad dusted over, and after having to sell of my Haswell i5 rig, I've ended up with a dainty little Athlon X4 860k rig just for the sake of getting online. It actually performs quite well as a budget gamer to my shock, but now that I'm in a good enough position I'd like to get back some of my PC power. But I've been out of the loop and honestly have no idea where to put my money. I've come up with three possible plans:

1: Used Haswell or Skylake build. I'm more leaning towards this because Haswell was a good platform for me, but I don't know if there's performance lost versus Skylake, or if Kaby Lake will be enough of an improvement to justify an extra hundred dollars or more on the CPU and the same on a new motherboard.

2: Zen.

3: Kaby.

Money isn't too much of an object, obviously I'm not gonna build the $4,000 e-peen0r rig but I don't think anything I'd need would be too far out of my reach given some time. What I plan to do with this build is just browse the web, play Minecraft with high settings (I do that relatively closely already, maybe a few settings lowered or disabled), get into actual PC gaming with games like Assassin's Creed (I-IV, probably Unity as well), Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, Ashes of the Singularity, all those games the cool kids play. This will be a gradual process as I slowly incorporate games into my budget so I was thinking I could buy a lower end CPU to start and upgrade later, either returning the low end one or selling it, and keep my 750 for now. Thoughts? I don't plan on going past 1080p for my resolution. One thing I'm pretty certain about is a GTX 1060 for my GPU when I do eventually upgrade that.

If anyone has some thoughts, suggestions, any info they could give to guide me I'd appreciate it. :)

trents

Wait and see what Zen has to offer. Should come out next month and we will know more soon about actual performance and pricing.

Skylake offers a tiny bit of performance improvement over Haswell and Kaby Lake offers less than that over Skylake unless you will be using the integrated gpu.