• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Won't boot when FSB set to 133

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blue Jester_2112

Hey all,

Just got done putting a dual system together for a friend. The system seems to work just fine when the FSB jumper is set to 100, however it won't when its set to 133. Only gives a blank screen.

Here are the specs:

K7D
2 XP 1700 palamino's
2 512mb sticks of crucial non registered pc2100
Sparkle 350w PSU
Gainward ti4200
WD 80gig SE
32x Cyberdrive

That's all that's in the system. Like I said, it boots fine when the jumper on the mb is set to 100, but not 133. The board gives 3 green LED's and 1 red LED and no signal to the monitor.

Any ideas? This is my first time putting a dual AMD system together so I could be missing something obvious.

Oh, and I've tried both chips in other single set ups and they work fine, also tried it with just one stick of ram (tried both sticks that way). I've also tried unplugging the HD and CD-Rom from the board to see if perhaps it didn't have enough power to boot. Also tried a GF3 ti200 vid card as well.

Help please :)

insufficient power supply...

You need at LEAST 450 watts, preferably 500. The ONLY exception, that I know of, is the Antec True430.

i disagree with the more power issue...

a 350 watt sparkle puts out 454 watts (tested by larva in this forum and toms hardware)...

in addition i ran a dual p3 at 1.62 ghz with 3 hard drives, cd writer, floppy, zip drive, 1 gig of RAM, 5 case fans, o/c'd 8500le video card, 5.1 sound card, tv card, and probably some other stuff i am forgetting ;)....

all of that with a 350 watt fortron...for over a month with no problems...

also, when he unplugged everything but the video card, ram and cpus....it still wouldn't hit 133...that's not that much power consumption...

i suggest you ask larva if you don't take my word on it...he has built over 7000 pc's and says there is virtually no PC that a forton 350 watter won't power

I thought it might not be enough juice, but shouldn't it be to boot? This system isn't being (or going to be) OC'd and a sparkle 350 should be enough. I've checked over at 2cpu.com and there are more than a few people running dual amd systems with 350's. Plus it is a sparkle.
I'll probably try to pick up a new PSU tommorrow sometime to check that out. In the meantime, do you guys have any other suggestions I might try tonight?

Thanks uber-much for the assistance.

Edit: The PSU shouldn't be bad, its only about 2 months old and came out of another system we have here. Ran good and strong in that time.

Oh, and I also tried the 350w enermax out of my main system and it was still no go. Unfortunately those are the two best we have here. We have a 400w sparkle, but it doesn't have a 12vATX connector. D'oh! :(

When you reset jumper on FSB clear the cmos before you boot to the 133 setting see if that helps. And usually and I have been in limbo for quite a while but ram that is nonregestered can cause a conflict on some boards for the dual amd processors.

You could check the RAM timings. Some RAM, like Corsair, won't boot at 133 on Auto settings. Set the RAM to these manual settings, then try 133.

If that doesn't work, I still think it is the PSU. Comparing a dual AMD and dual Intel system's power supply needs is comparing apples to oranges. Trust me. I have seen DOZENS of posts from people complaining about systems that won't POST or won't run stable, when running 430 watt or less Power Supplies. When these people get a different, higher wattage power supply, their problems dissappear. Dual AMD systems just need a LOT OF POWER. There are a few exceptions, I know. There are a FEW people with dual AMD systems that are running 350-430 watt PSU's. 95% of dual AMD owners are NOT able to run their system stable with less than a 450 watt Power Supply.

I've tried clearing the cmos a few time, but to no avail. I'll try setting the mem timings before I go out and get another PSU.
Think a 500w CompUSA would work? (Just incase that's my only option.)

The compusa PSU will probably work but I dont recommend it. Its difficult to say weather the sparkle is your problem or not. I run my XP1700s @ 2100 and an R9700 pro all with a 400 watt antec. Claimed wattage isnt always a clear indication of how good a psu is. You might check out your 5v line under 100% cpu load.

Well, I recall that the +5v was at 4.99 and teh +12v was at 11.8 according to the bios when booting at 100mhz. (With the sparkle.)
Under load...uh, never checked, haven't bothered really stressing the system since it isn't running properly yet.

I only ask about the CompUSA PSU because it may be the only option. Just in case bestbuy doesn't have anything decent in stock. Also because I'm not gonna pay an outragous price for one (as bestbuy loves to charge for Antecs.)

I've got a 500 Watt CompUSA PSU on a dual Pally system at 1667 MHz. It's never been a problem for me, although I did replace the stock fans with some quieter ones.

OK, I'm thinking we'll grab the 500w from CompUSA for now, then order a replacement from newegg and just return the CompUSA one next weekend. He kinda needs his PC this week, I think he may be starting classes. (3d studio max, Maya, etc.)
I'll let y'all know what happens when we get the 500w in there.

Thanks for all the help thus far. :)

Yeah, it never hurts to try. If it doesn't fix the problem, then take it back. If it does, then it is a cheap and easy solution.

ok, maybe you're right cmcquistion...maybe for a dual AMD you need more than a 350 watt sparkle/fortron...so if you try another PS...then....

i would NOT get the 500watt compUSA supply, unless you plan on returning it after testing with it....

instead i would get the 530 watt fortron from www.newegg.com
for 70 bucks...

or...if you have a bestbuy they have the 550watt ANTECs or the 430 and 480 watt ANTECS which i think would be fine too...just cost a little more

Fortron- P530XF530W Power Supply Retail
Specifications
Feature: Noise Killer, Dual clear fans, Nickel platted chassis
Power Supply Type: ATX
Max Power: 530W @ 70% output, Peak at 600W
Dimensions: 5 7/8" x 5 1/2" x 3 3/8"
Fan(s): 2-80mm fans
P4 Ready: yes Model#: FSP530-60GNA Special FedEx Saver Shipping $5.00
- Product Link -See It! (image count 4 ) -Price Alert (N82E16817104971) Return to Service

I'd be inclined to disagree with the notion of the PSU also....I'm running a very similar setup (I've got half the DDR, but it's ECC Registered, and a MX440 not a Ti).

XP1600+ Pallys here.

Antec PP-352X 350W PSU since Day One, no problems ever. Overclocking yields the same max (at 1.85v) for the chips I got when tested in a single CPU board, with a CompUSA 400W PSU in that case.

Remember..."it's not the size of the wand, but the magic that's in it"....LOL ;)

Mr B said:
I'd be inclined to disagree with the notion of the PSU also....I'm running a very similar setup (I've got half the DDR, but it's ECC Registered, and a MX440 not a Ti).

XP1600+ Pallys here.

Antec PP-352X 350W PSU since Day One, no problems ever. Overclocking yields the same max (at 1.85v) for the chips I got when tested in a single CPU board, with a CompUSA 400W PSU in that case.

Remember..."it's not the size of the wand, but the magic that's in it"....LOL ;)

Well if it boots at a lower speed but it's still at the same voltage power is probly not the problem

Back