• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont overclock higher

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

My rig is in my sig and if i am missing any info please let me know and ill update it.

Now i recently found out that my 9590 is bottle necking my 980, which really puzzled me however upon overclocking the GPU a little bit my fps went higher. Now i cant get my card to go over +225 (1540) on the core and +100 (1800) on the memory stable. I put the core voltage to +47 but it doesn't seem to pull more than 1.243volts even if i move the slider higher. Is this the max on my card? or am i missing something.

IT is a Gigabyte Wind-force GTX980 and i am using MSi Afterburner to oc.

thank you for the help in advance.

EDIT: Turns out that oc wasn't stable. I definitely need help overclocking this guy.

Last edited:
Hello all,

My rig is in my sig and if i am missing any info please let me know and ill update it.

Now i recently found out that my 9590 is bottle necking my 980, which really puzzled me however upon overclocking the GPU a little bit my fps went higher. Now i cant get my card to go over +225 (1540) on the core and +100 (1800) on the memory stable. I put the core voltage to +47 but it doesn't seem to pull more than 1.243volts even if i move the slider higher. Is this the max on my card? or am i missing something.

IT is a Gigabyte Wind-force GTX980 and i am using MSi Afterburner to oc.

thank you for the help in advance.

EDIT: Turns out that oc wasn't stable. I definitely need help overclocking this guy.

Which model of 980 is it? Many of them had a limitation in the bios set at 1.262v. Some were a little lower, at 1.212v. If you send me a copy of your GPU bios, I can tell what's holding you up from there. A screenshot of GPUz sensors tab while you're running a benchmark or something would be useful as well.

Which model of 980 is it? Many of them had a limitation in the bios set at 1.262v. Some were a little lower, at 1.212v. If you send me a copy of your GPU bios, I can tell what's holding you up from there. A screenshot of GPUz sensors tab while you're running a benchmark or something would be useful as well.

Screenshot (21).png

Ok...let's start again. Go back to my first post and read it a little more carefully. If you can do that, and reply in kind, I'll see what I can do to help you. I'll check back tomorrow.

Well that was during a game so idk why the clock dropped. This is 100% stock. OC-GURUII had a 25mhz boost but change any performance, and i decided to run MSI Afterburner.

Screenshot (24).png

Okie Dokie

Well that was during a game so idk why the clock dropped. This is 100% stock. OC-GURUII had a 25mhz boost but change any performance, and i decided to run MSI Afterburner.

View attachment 188783

Okie Dokie

Do me a favor. See where the voltage reads 1.218v? Click on that section. I little text will pop up, it'll cycle through avg, min and max. Put it on max. That'll tell you the max voltage the card ran during your test. Do that same thing on the core temp and core clock as well, please.

So, what are you trying to do exactly? What clocks are you trying to reach?

Also...might want to try running Heaven, or FS Ultra.

Okay. Well let me explain my problem. When playing BF4 or anything newer, the GPU is bottlenecking my computer and the cause of the lowed fps. I can't reach over 60fps avg when playing BF4 and that is kinda the reason i built a computer. Push more frames and better quality than consoles.

I am trying to get the card to run as fast as i can get it stable pretty much. I dont really have a goal on what clocks i am trying to reach just trying to find what my GPU can reach. This picture is running heaven for 5 mins.

Screenshot (25).png

Okay. Well let me explain my problem. When playing BF4 or anything newer, the GPU is bottlenecking my computer and the cause of the lowed fps. I can't reach over 60fps avg when playing BF4 and that is kinda the reason i built a computer. Push more frames and better quality than consoles.

I am trying to get the card to run as fast as i can get it stable pretty much. I dont really have a goal on what clocks i am trying to reach just trying to find what my GPU can reach. This picture is running heaven for 5 mins.

View attachment 188792

Ok. Now, slide the voltage slider all the way up, slide the power limit all the way up, and add +150 offset to the core. Might want to make a custom fan curve, to keep the GPU temps about where they're at now. 50c is pretty decent.

And then try this again, and let's see what it does.

Perfect. Everything looks good so far. Try giving it a little bit of memory clock, and then play your game, and see if that doesn't help a little bit. Probably won't, but......

The CPU bottlenecking your games isn't really going to get solved, especially with that specific game...it's just a very CPU intensive game. The 9590 has pretty poor single core performance.... Not much you're going to be able to do to get around that, since you already have a pretty good overclock on it. Moving to a higher resolution monitor might take the pressure off of the CPU somewhat, if it's a true bottleneck situation with the CPU (I think in this case, it's just the game). This will help in games that aren't limited by the CPU, though.

Wait, i mean that the GPU is bottle necking. Not the CPU surprising enough. Overclocking the CPU makes very small differences in FPS, same when i under clock it to 3.0ghz. When i underclock the GPU the fps drop to a point where i cant play anymore. I tried overclocking the GPU which wasnt stable but it made a noticeable difference in fps. This is why i am trying to find a stable overclock on my GPU.

I cant push the core past that speed? Thats the max for it?

Wait, i mean that the GPU is bottle necking. Not the CPU surprising enough. Overclocking the CPU makes very small differences in FPS, same when i under clock it to 3.0ghz. When i underclock the GPU the fps drop to a point where i cant play anymore. I tried overclocking the GPU which wasnt stable but it made a noticeable difference in fps. This is why i am trying to find a stable overclock on my GPU.

I cant push the core past that speed? Thats the max for it?

You can certainly try to push it further. 1500+ is usually pretty easily reachable. GM204s overclock really well....I was just suggesting an overclock I was 99% sure would be completely game stable without the need to do a lot of testing.

I tried +250 on the core and it wasn't stable. It wouldn't draw anymore than 1.243v. what would you suggest for a max clock to try out? And is it worth oc the memory or stick to the core.

I tried +250 on the core and it wasn't stable. It wouldn't draw anymore than 1.243v. what would you suggest for a max clock to try out? And is it worth oc the memory or stick to the core.

Memory overclock can also add to performance. It'd definitely worth messing with. Yours has Elpida memory, which overclocks pretty decent if it's kept cool enough.

About voltage.....your card may be limited via bios. What model / manufacturer is it?

So...open up GPUz, and see the little arrow icon right under the NVIDIA logo? Push it. It'll extract a copy of your bios. Zip it, and upload it. I'm sure it's a bios limitation, but...taking a quick peak would answer that question quickly.

What exactly is cool enough? I read if it stays under 83c I'm good. I haven't seen it hit over 62c under load and oced.

The exact model is GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE.

View attachment GM204.zip

Last edited:
What exactly is cool enough? I read if it stays under 83c I'm good. I haven't seen it hit over 62c under load and oced.

The exact model is GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE.

View attachment 188805

Ugh...god I hate stock bios files.

The voltage is set to a max of 1.262v. I'm pretty sure I see what the problem is, but, it'd take flashing the bios to fix it. I can modify the bios for you, but you need to understand the dangers of a failed flash.

Read the opening post of this thread. It explains exactly what it takes to flash a bios.....but know, that if you flash it wrong, it can brick your card. There are ways to recover from a bad flash, but none of them will make you dance around all happy.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1573308/nvidia-gtx-900-cards-custom-bios-upon-request

View attachment GM204A.zip

Yeah i would prefer to stay away from things that can brick my card. Since i dont have money to replace it. I appreciate the offer though. I am a noob (as you can probably tell) and i dont feel comfortable doing that. what would be the max core and memory clocks i can get out of 1.262v? i am also assuming that with a max voltage of 1.262, there will be teeter totter effect between the memory and core speed right?

Yeah i would prefer to stay away from things that can brick my card. Since i dont have money to replace it. I appreciate the offer though. I am a noob (as you can probably tell) and i dont feel comfortable doing that. what would be the max core and memory clocks i can get out of 1.262v? i am also assuming that with a max voltage of 1.262, there will be teeter totter effect between the memory and core speed right?

The power limits in the bios are high enough that shouldn't be a problem, so you shouldn't have to lower core speed to overclock the memory. As a general rule of thumb, most GM204s can run 1500ish on the core and at least +300 on the memory and be stable. That'll depend on the game, though....some like core clock, some like memory clock, some don't like any clock at all. It's just something you'll have to experiment with.

Back