• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_par4d0x_

Registered
I just got done a 3 hour process of putting my brand new computer together piece by piece. I put on the defogger stuff using scothch tape and I know none of the lines where touching. I have all brand new parts and Ive checked and rechecked that everything is plugged in the right way. But still, all I can get it to do is turn on for a split second. The fans try to turn and then it goes off. It doesnt even do it everytime. Sometimes it wont do anything... then other times it'll flip on for a split second and try to spin the fans. I've found no pattern to when it will come on and when it wont. I have a Duron 950 and 300 W power supply trying to run a cdrw a 7200 rpm 60 gig hdd and only the fan on the thermaltake 7. I havent even got any case fans installed. Please help me. I'm so clueless as what to try next.

repo man11

I would double check the mobo mounting inside the case, it sounds like something is grounding out. Can you swap with any other components, like try the CPU in another mobo, or another mobo in the case, etc.?

OP
T

the_par4d0x_

Registered
I did have qiuet a time getting the mb into the case right. It doesnt fit perfectly. Its supposed to but this case must suck. The mb is barely close enouph to get some of the cards in. My network card goes in more near the end of the card than it does at the front. What would I look for to check for it bing grounded out?

repo man11

It shouldn't be touching anywhere but the back edge, and where it screws to the case. When I knew a lot less than I know now, I plugged a USB cable in incorrectly (to the motherboard). It wouldn't turn on similar to what you're experiencing, because the +5 volt was going directly to ground. I managed to figure it out before I did any damage.

stool

It sounds as if your mobo is shorting out. Take it out of the case, put it on the pad it shipped in, plug in just the CPU and RAM and vid card, hook up the connectors from the case, and see if it will boot up. If it does, you've found out what your problem is. You should have a little bit of leeway to position your mobo, so try doing that when the screws aren't tightened all the way down.

OP
T

the_par4d0x_

Registered
I did just that. I found the pad that the mb shi[pped on and stuck it between the mb and the case frame and stopped it from doing that. Thanks now to put everything on it