• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wood Case Pictures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward2

Several months ago I had talked about building a wood case for some folding rigs. Well, I finally got around to taking some pictures of the case and thought I would show them off. I have 2 folding rigs in this case, which are described in the second picture.

You cannot see it in the pictures, but I do have ground wires between the motherboard, hard drive, and power supply for each rig. If you look closely, you will notice that the entire back of the case is open for cooling purposes and I will be adding a second fan to the door soon. Believe it or not, the temps in the case only run about 2C above the room ambient temp.

I just recently got my own webpage, so please let me know if you can't access the pictures. Thanks.

Wood Case 1

Wood Case 2

OP
Edward2

Edward2

Hey thanks. I still need to clean up the cables down in the bottom section, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Eventually I may add 2 more rigs (1 on the top shelf and 1 in the bottom section), but I've got to get a job first. I was laid off last week.

A few things I learned. The all-in-one motherboards with on-board video and LAN are wonderful for this type setup. It saves a lot of room by not having to use PCI cards. In fact, I could actually move the shelves closer together if I replace the ST6 board with another M6VLQ board. Then I could add another shelf and motherboard.

If you do use PCI cards, please keep in mind that the PCI card metal piece sticks down below the motherboard. Thus you have to raise the motherboard enough for the PCI card to clear the shelf.

Also, you have to be very careful when you connect and disconnect the video cable from the PCI card, or the computer will lock up. I do not have a KVM switch, so this was a problem at first. I have now installed PCAnywhere on these 2 rigs and my main rig, so that I can access them via the LAN.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Nice job :clap:

Cooling sounds excellent too: must be the open back, but 2c over ambient is definetly in the "mighty good case temp" department!

A great alternative to PCAnywhere is VNC by the way- quite a few versions available, and it workls on *nix, Windows and Macs.....and its free:D Betas the cost and licensing issues that can crop up with PCanywhere, IMO.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
rogerdugans said:
A great alternative to PCAnywhere is VNC by the way- quite a few versions available, and it workls on *nix, Windows and Macs.....and its free:D Betas the cost and licensing issues that can crop up with PCanywhere, IMO.

I will have to agree here. PCAnywhere has to many openings and is easily accessible by those that know how to.
Swap that out and get VNC, much better software IMO. All easily setup too. Takes minimal resources if not being actively used. Which is a HUGE plus. And, as RD said, its free!~! :D