• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woohoo! 100points

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
Just turned in a chunky 5 pointer. Should be me at 102 points now, nearly all on the same 1100MHz Thunderbird :D

I have a question though - my dads K6-2-250 is 89% through a NativeBBA5 at 23mins/frame. It has been on for about 36 hours now and should finish about 3 or 4 am. Is this too late? What is the time limit on a BBA5? Will I still get credit for this?
 
OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
Ebola said:
You need to start folding 24-7 :)

My p2 300's has just about put in that much. hehe. j/k

:eek:

I would love to fold 24/7 but I can't. My parents say its too noisy and eats electricity. Its in my bedroom.

Its been folding 24/7 this weekend while my parents are away, but this will only be till Monday :( I should get another couple WUs in by then though.

It will be on all day next week, folding, but I am back at school on the 15th. If I leave my rig on while I am at school my parents just yoik the plug out. I have lost a couple of WUs that way - had a couple at about 40%.

As always, I'll see what I can do. If I can fold - great. If I have to turn my PC off I unfortunately can't help that :(

I am currently worried about what to do this summer, as it will be off for two weeks. I'll see if my next door neighbour will rig it up to his cable line and let it fold 24/7 till I get back.

Anyway, I shall savour the 100 milestone and look forward to the 250 :D
 

funnyperson1

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2001
i feel your pain David...but fortunately i go to sleep after my parents and in the morning many a times they ae too much in a rush to turn off my computer...
 
OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
funnyperson1 said:
i feel your pain David...but fortunately i go to sleep after my parents and in the morning many a times they ae too much in a rush to turn off my computer...

Some nights I go to bed later than my parents, but only about half an hour. They are often not yet asleep and make sure the PC is off. I am currently looking at getting a quieter CPU cooler or padding the sides with bog roll :D.
 
OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
Ebola said:
give them $10 a month and tell them to mind their own damn business. :)

I would end up with a sore arm and a £10 down my throat :D
I'll try that one though - noise is my main concern. If I can reduce the noise then they won't know that its on :rolleyes:
 

funnyperson1

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2001
yes my mom assumed that because my delta38 is so loud it must be raising her electric bill by 100$.....
 
OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
funnyperson1 said:
yes my mom assumed that because my delta38 is so loud it must be raising her electric bill by 100$.....

My cooler master (DP5-6I11A) HSF isn't quite as noisy as an in flight concorde, but it is quite noisy. The enigma is that I actually sleep better with the fan whirring away in the background :confused:

I might get a Zalman Quiet Cooler. They look quite good.
 

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
Joined
Jul 11, 2001
Location
i live
David said:


My cooler master (DP5-6I11A) HSF isn't quite as noisy as an in flight concorde, but it is quite noisy. The enigma is that I actually sleep better with the fan whirring away in the background :confused:

I might get a Zalman Quiet Cooler. They look quite good.

great job on the first milestone!!! and if you are looking for quite then the best choice is zalman by far. Of course they are princey sometimes but i am sure that you already know that:)
 
OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
NASsoccer said:


great job on the first milestone!!! and if you are looking for quite then the best choice is zalman by far. Of course they are princey sometimes but i am sure that you already know that:)

Pricey yes, but worth it to be able to fold overnight :D
 
OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
NASsoccer said:


of course:D... then by all means do what it takes

I am also going to try padding the inside of the case with toilet roll :D
 

Cluster

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Location
Canuckistan
What don't parents understand. They think PC's eat electricity. Do what i did, kick'em out (only works if you got an apartment:D ). I just checked my power bill, and for the month the total power consumption was 6.75 canadian. About 4 bucks US. That's a TV, Stereo, 1 PC (24/7), Fridge, Stove, and lights. Maybe i just get cheap power, but i think the PC only takes up about 2 bucks a month, maybe 3.

And to solve your noise troubles, WATERCOOLING!!!

That Tbird would turn out some nice WU's 24/7. Mine puts out anywhere from 25-40/week.

I'm really glad I don't have your parents, i'm sure they'd freak at the sound of 15 PC's running 24/7.

FOLD BABY FOLD!!!
 

funnyperson1

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2001
thats the thing though i cant pay the difference as my parents actually claim that the bill has gone up by like 40$ since i started folding....and we have the same amount of computers...
 

Ploaf

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
Location
Warren, OH
Congrats on 100 David!
as for pwoer consumption.
My power bill did increase some but then I added several systems all at once so it was easy to see. Had the systems already been running I'm sure that the difference would not have been noticed.
 

Loud

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2001
Location
Peoples' Rep of SoKal
Way to go David! Congrats on the milestone!

It's interesting ... in order to ... uhm ... get around the concerns of your parents, most people say to water cool. Won't this just take MORE power? ;)

Now ... a quieter fan ... THAT's another story ...

For stealth mode, remember to unplug the LEDs on the front panel, too. :D
 
OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
Loud said:
Way to go David! Congrats on the milestone!

It's interesting ... in order to ... uhm ... get around the concerns of your parents, most people say to water cool. Won't this just take MORE power? ;)

Now ... a quieter fan ... THAT's another story ...

For stealth mode, remember to unplug the LEDs on the front panel, too. :D


Water Cooling :eek:
I may give that a try, don't know if I can afford it. ANyone know of some good cheap kits?

I have remembered the LEDs - covered up of course :D

I have seen the Zalman fan for about £34 ($45?) so I may give that a try. Thanks for the help guys :D