• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woohoo! Comcast Just Double Speed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Subaru

Disabled
I just recieved and email from comcast like 3 minutes ago and they've double the speed now. 4mbs down and 384 up. All you have to do is unplug your modem for 1 minute and plug it back in and you're set.

Just want let everyone know. It's $55 for me now alone.

Aktunka

I can't wait for it to get doubled here in Portland, OR area as well. When I first got cable the provider was @Home and there was no download speed limits hehe. I remember downloading some like 600 meg file ultra fast and I was blown away. Much better than my DSL line had been.

CrashOveride

tom10167 said:
The only thing that sucks about that, is when have you ever hit more than 1mbps? The problem isn't me(us), it's servers.

You know it's mega BITs per second right? Not byte? I hit 1mb(it)ps and over all the time...

DayUSeX

dang thats nice i hope comcast comes to my area, all we got is yahoo/sbc DSL and they just keep trimming back the bandwith amount

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
tom10167 said:
The only thing that sucks about that, is when have you ever hit more than 1mbps? The problem isn't me(us), it's servers.

Thats why they make download managers. Get Right can open up 8 connections at a time.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
UberBlue said:

Thats why they make download managers. Get Right can open up 8 connections at a time.
But that only works for downloads from "small" hosts :( File hosts for game demos and such use some 3vi1 program to make you wait in line and then begin the download.

I'm just happy with the speed I've got now!! My parents have to make a decision between Cable Internet or Cable TV by new year's, since our special deal will end.

JigPu

Toaster Oven

Subaru, is that for the Pro package? AFAIK, the regular package got upgraded to 3mbps everywhere, not 4. Anyhow, can't complain as I took advantage of the $20/month for 1 year deal so this is just icing on the cake :D

CrashOveride

JigPu said:

But that only works for downloads from "small" hosts :( File hosts for game demos and such use some 3vi1 program to make you wait in line and then begin the download.

I'm just happy with the speed I've got now!! My parents have to make a decision between Cable Internet or Cable TV by new year's, since our special deal will end.

JigPu

They don't need Tv... it's a waste of time.

OP
Subaru

Subaru

Disabled
Toaster Oven said:
Subaru, is that for the Pro package? AFAIK, the regular package got upgraded to 3mbps everywhere, not 4. Anyhow, can't complain as I took advantage of the $20/month for 1 year deal so this is just icing on the cake :D

No mine is not the Pro package. Around here, I always got 3mb when I first start. Now it's 4mb, tested on a download from my friend with an edu server.

JimmyG

I have comcast and I just ran the bandwidth speed test at ZDNet and it maxed out their tester at 1940 kbps.:D

CrashOveride

tom10167 said:
I know the difference between bytes and bits. :p I downloaded a download manager from Cnet for their "fast download" feature, but it had spyware. :(

Stardownloader opens multiple connections, has no spyware and is really clean, easy to use and has no bugs that I have found.

wanna_b_rich_13

Go to dslreports.com to test your speed.

I reached 1126kbps which is a lot better than the 750-800 that I had about a year ago doing the same test.

I guess they are really pushing the speed on Comcast. Good. I pay enough for it.

Quailane

At my backwoods Mom's house, our speeds were never limited by comcast's cap on it. We were always getting such poor performance because the cables in this area are crappy.
At my dad's house, which is an 8 minute drive, the cable speeds are extremely fast.

gusgizmo

Disabled
i miss my cable. i hope to get it back eventually, its a really nice thing to have. it took me like 3 months to get used to dial-up. in any case, ill talk to my friend who runs a webserver on his cable, and see if we can abuse the bandwidth somehow. . . itll be fun! we can get like 20 different linux distros!

Como

you got used to dialup? i've had it for 14 years and i still cant stand it. BAH! i max out a 3kbs for downloads. doesnt help i have an old ISA V.90 legacy modem. (and cant afford to upgrade it)

Quailane

Got to be kidding with your ISA modem there bud. I had one in a k6-2 400Mhz but that was 6 years ago!