• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOOHOO!!! DDR MEM IN CANADA!! whats the best 266FSB baord out right now???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ExtremeOC

DDR MEMORY IS OUT!!! FINALLY!! so i need to know: whats the best DDR board w/ 266 FSB out right now? even if it isnt here, i wanna know about it. we have a A7M266 out right now. should i get it, or is there problems that need to be worked out first??

A lot of people have been talking about the A7V133 as of late....Canada rules.

The A7V133 is not a TRUE DDR board is it? I say the Asus A7M266 has to kick ***, and I'm also considering MSI, and Iwill, but I think MSI is going to take the cake on it.

the A7V133 uses a 266fsb DDR, but uses only regular PC133 memory

If I was in the market for a new motherboard with DDR RAM support, I'd probably go with Asus...the A7M266 like you had originally said

(say something Canadianish) :)

Well, the reason that I'm thinking MSI, is because there is still some options diabled on the Asus board. Like the memory timing settings, you can change them, but nothing happens. MSI on the other hand, is supposed to realease a fully functional and overclocker friendly board soon. I just wonder if 4 way interleaving is going to availabe?

Yeah, that Iwill board looks decent...only one problem amigo. No reviews, no benchs, no compatibility testing, how does those ALi North and South bridges stand up to some of the other big dogs on performance (Via, etc). Not to mention, the web site failed to mention, was the frequency adjustable in small steps, or was it crappy presets crap. No way...i'm not touching this board PERIOD....until I can see some hard data. :)

Metaxas (Feb 04, 2001 11:04 p.m.):
Yeah, that Iwill board looks decent...only one problem amigo. No reviews, no benchs, no compatibility testing, how does those ALi North and South bridges stand up to some of the other big dogs on performance (Via, etc). Not to mention, the web site failed to mention, was the frequency adjustable in small steps, or was it crappy presets crap. No way...i'm not touching this board PERIOD....until I can see some hard data. :)

Well, you need hard data eh?
The ASUS A7A 266 (the new mobo from asus based on ALi chipset) will be introduced in this month(Feb/2001) and I bet it will rock. Many giant mobo manufacturers are putting ALi chipsets onto their list and that might be one example of the ALi chipsets progress.
I'm not saying ALi is the best out there nor the other chipsets sux. I have just started using the Iwill mobo and it gave me no problem in overclocking, stability and performance. That's why I'm just recommending it to others. AMD 761 and VIA chipsets are very good chipsets (VIA is not available as of yet) and ALi is just another choice that you can consider.
Oh yea you'll find a lot of benchmarks out there. I've been doing an in-depth research before getting this mobo and I think it's worthy. The only place which had a slightly negative review on the Iwill mobo is the Tomshardware. I trust their reputation and all but they had some dissapointment of not having the voltage control on the evaluation board. <--- this CPU voltage adjustment is available on the production board.
The mobo features multiplier setting using jumpers, FSB settings(100 or 133 using jumber settings or 100~146 in increment of 2~4Mhz in BIOS setting), Vcore setting(1.6~1.85V), Vmem setting(for memory voltage), and many many other features.
I have overclocked my 1.2GHz T-Bird @ 1.33GHz (10 x 133FSB) and it's super stable and performs very well. I wish I could post the results of my benchmarks (Sandra, 3Dmark, Winbench and etc etc) if I know how to attatch a file on this message board. I can definitely e-mail you or post it here if you can tell me how to do an attatchment here.
Well, enough said and hope this clarifies a bit... :)

Groovin'. Well, basically, I only have only a limited amouth in which to buy a computer, gonna try to keep it under 1200 by building it myself, and buy parts at a time. I have already bought the 2 75GXP 30Gigers for RAID striping, I already have the case, a Lian-Li PC60, an Enermax 430watt power supply. I think that I am going to just get 128Megs of killer PC2100 ram, and when I get the money, slap another stick in there. Does that Iwill board have memory tweaking capabilities? Some of the better ram is rated at CAS 2.5 - however, it will run at CAS 2 if the board supports it. Later this year they should release true CAS 2 ram....wonder how far we will be able to push those types of sticks. Anyways, and of course, an NV20 - but I am for sure going to wait on that one, I should be able to overclock the hell out of this gForce2 GTS, so that should hold up, until NV20's become more reasonably priced and more overclocker friendly. I will say, that the Iwill board did catch my attention with the built in RAID support...and if it performs kick ***, (which I can't see why not) then I could be busting out one of them. Should I get a 200Mhz cpu, and just lower the multiplier, and up the fsb? Thanks.

Yup definitely positive on that.
Lower multiplier and higher FSB gives better overall performance.
And for the memory, this board supports CAS LATENCY of 2 or 2.5 on BIOS setting.
If you're still unsure about the performance, let me know. I'll e-mail you the screenshot of my Sandra benchmark.
Bottom line is that this board has every options that an O/C board should have and performs very well.
Good luck with your system. It looks like that you're gonna have a sweet system. :)

Hey man, I bought the board, and Corsair 2.5cas PC2100 - hopefully, it will run at CAS 2 :) But I REALLY need to know, ok, do you have to do ANY kind of modification to use a 200Mhz cpu, like you did? Or will it drop in there, just like anything else? And if that is so, then just boot into the bios, and set it up...I would really appreciate your help...thanks.

Metaxas (Feb 05, 2001 06:32 a.m.):
Hey man, I bought the board, and Corsair 2.5cas PC2100 - hopefully, it will run at CAS 2 :) But I REALLY need to know, ok, do you have to do ANY kind of modification to use a 200Mhz cpu, like you did? Or will it drop in there, just like anything else? And if that is so, then just boot into the bios, and set it up...I would really appreciate your help...thanks.

Don't worry. It has the CAS 2 option. And as far as the CPUs bus speed is concerned, just set it at 100MHz(default value) and start from there. You can simply increase the FSB in the BIOS setting(under Iwill Smart Setting) Or if you want to go with 133MHz bu jumper, just set the appropriate jumper to 133MHz and lower the multiplier number as well. I did mine like that and works great.

I am using Hedgehog HS and YS-Tech 60MM fan(used to combines the HS with Delta 38cfm fan but it was too loud and gave me only 2degrees improvement over the YS-Tech fan. I guess you could go with a Sunon fan as well if you prefer.) This cooler keeps my cpu at 45degrees celcius full load and 39degrees celcius idle.(1.2GHz @ 1.33GHz with 1.75V)

Good luck~

Its great to be an Idahoan

I live about 30 miles from Boise (Capital of Idaho for those who don't know) and about 28 Miles from Micronpc.com Showroom. I've gone in there and played with their DDR System. I must say, its quite "slamm'n". If anyone wants, i'll take my digital over there and take some pictures!

DamnFast (Feb 05, 2001 12:07 a.m.):
I have overclocked my 1.2GHz T-Bird @ 1.33GHz (10 x 133FSB) and it's super stable and performs very well. I wish I could post the results of my benchmarks (Sandra, 3Dmark, Winbench and etc etc) if I know how to attatch a file on this message board

To take screenshot just use alt+printscreen, then paste into paint or any image prog and save as jpg file. Then attach the jpg.

Show us some mem benchmarks for fun.

As soon as I can get everything together, I will do some serious benching, including games, and NOT quake...i'm SO sick of, quake this, quake that, ut this, ut that...q3 and ut are BUNK for beching. Why? If people really wanted to see what their system would do, install StarTrek Voyager: Elite Force, or Giants Citizen Kabuto, and turn all the good stuff on. Q3 and UT are outdated. Of course a slightly older game is going to run better...damn gimmic stratagy. Well, I say, that the release of Red Faction, and some of these other new age kick *** cpu killer titles, are going to seperat the men from the boys, and i'm willing to bet, anyone who decided to save a buck now, by buying SDR based mobo's / ram...is going to kick themselves square in da *** later. Yeah, sure its not unheard of to ramp the FSB up to insane levels, like 166 or whatever...but i'm going to laugh, when people start frying their ****, just to try to keep up with DDR in the next couple of months....heh. I mean really, I mean, going to 145-150 works, its creepy, but works, but when people start trying to push it beyond that...man, HDD's aren't cheap, neither are vid cards, or anyother part that eventually, if you push it to hard, is going to go on strike...permentally. Bragging rights don't mean JACK if your puter died 2 weeks ago, cause you were DUMB enough to try to push it to 160 plus. So what the board can hadle it, but last time I head, people don't just use a mobo and a cpu and some ram...and that's it. Time will tell.

Eriksson (Feb 06, 2001 12:20 a.m.):
To take screenshot just use alt+printscreen, then paste into paint or any image prog and save as jpg file. Then attach the jpg.

Show us some mem benchmarks for fun.

I did save my benchmark screenshot as .jpg file but just don't know how to attatch that file on this Forum.
Could anyone tell me how to attatch a file here?

You have to check the little window ="Preview your post and/or attach a file?"

It is just above the "post" button.

Back