• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woohoo!!! Surgery was a Success :-)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LutaWicasa

, Immutable, Administrator
I've had 4 non-working 8KHA+s sitting around for quite a while. Got'em in a box'o boards I had bought for $20. Been home for a few sick. Got really bored and just decided to closely inspect these non-booting boards (all either FF or C1) Found 1 that after close inspection, there was a component that was burnt (actually, the center was blown-out). Can't say what component as I am no electronics tech. Tiny black square with 8 legs (right under the NB fan header). Well, the boards weren't working anyway so I decided to remove this from 1 board and transplant to this one. Had a helluva time with as tiny as this was, but I finally de-soldered and re-soldered. Got home from work today and gave my handiwork a close inspection and it looked a bit rough, but functional. Decided to risk a spare chip I have, and........................the damn thing works!!!! :eek:
Haven't put it through it's paces yet, but I have installed WinXP without a hitch :cool:
Ahhhhh........this feels so nice Now I've got 2 working 8KHA+s :D

(So proud of myself, I just had ta share ;))

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
sounds good but you may have the same problem after a little while as most component fail from the components before it

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Awsome!! Congrats on the resusitation! :beer:

Now...get one o' them dual P/// Abit boards working, and install the FAH client on it when ya get it workin' :p

I agree with the above...keep an eye on it for a while, and don't put a high end chip on it...keep a Duron or T-Bird on it. ;)

Good news is a wonderful thing! Good job!

Brian

Mr. $T$

Real nice, sounds like a good electronics project for shool :D I think I might try it:)

Daemonfly

Guy I used to work for said those are fuse chips.. probably 1/4 x 1/2" size? They always popped off our one brand of mobo when they got hit by a surge.

I never bothered to verify that though, lol.

But if it was right under the fan header,... I wonder if it was a fan controller of some sort, and was just over worked with a huge fan & just fried it. I never examined current Mobo circuitry lately ;)

OP
LutaWicasa

LutaWicasa

Well, it's still running with no probs as yet. Haven't had the chance to stress things too much. Might get the chance to twist'er tail hard this weekend.
Wouldn't think there had been a huge fan connected to that header. Its the small 2 pin header for th NB cooler. Still had the stock HS/F mounted with just enough blow-back dust to lead me to believe it hadn't been modded in any way.
Eh, who knows? I'll keep at it and see if I can get'er to fail :D

OP
LutaWicasa

LutaWicasa

Can O' Beans said:
Guy I used to work for said those are fuse chips.. probably 1/4 x 1/2" size? They always popped off our one brand of mobo when they got hit by a surge.

I never bothered to verify that though, lol.

But if it was right under the fan header,... I wonder if it was a fan controller of some sort, and was just over worked with a huge fan & just fried it. I never examined current Mobo circuitry lately ;)

Just had a tech at Epox reply to a request as to whether these are fuses.........nope. They are tied in with voltage regulation of the northbridge and mem. Running extreme FSBs and heavy overvolting can cause the "blowout". Sometimes replacement of this chip is all that is required, other times various other components will be damaged as well.
Now to see if I can do about the same repair an a couple 8K7As I have :D

RedDeathDrinker

Senior Aircraftsman IRL
That's the spirit!

I've just found a shop in town that sells new and second hand components (box-o-bits and all that:D) Picked up a 256MB HDD for £1 and assorted other bits. They take old PCs and split them. Drive cages, PSU's, CD-ROMs, floppys, cables, mobos, CPU's....you name it, they got it!