• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Workbench Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomdean

I have been thinking of what case would best fit my new system. Google is next to useless, nowdays. Too many hits.
Trying to add search terms soon turns to mush.

I am thinking of building a comjpute-station. No GPU. Headless. Network I/O only.

I think a case where the MB was horizontal would be best. A strong frame with removeable sizes. Perforated metal sizes for max air flow.

Maybe a EATX size cube, with a separate PSU area.

Does this sound like something that exists.

I do not remember who, but, I have always admired this:

Last edited:
I have been thinking of what case would best fit my new system. Google is next to useless, nowdays. Too many hits.
Trying to add search terms soon turns to mush.

I am thinking of building a comjpute-station. No GPU. Headless. Network I/O only.

I think a case where the MB was horizontal would be best. A strong frame with removeable sizes. Perforated metal sizes for max air flow.

Maybe a EATX size cube, with a separate PSU area.

Does this sound like something that exists.

I do not remember who, but, I have always admired this:

I would say there are some more details to know.

- What kind of processor were you thinking? High TDP? Overclocked? If so, then you will need something large enough to house a large CPU cooler or AIO.
- What is your budget?

I have a Cooler Master HAF XB EVO. Its not a large case by any means, but it is no ITX either. It is an oldie but goody, but still available at Amazon for a reasonable price. $105. Unfortunately it only supports a 240 AIO, so if you wanted to go water cooling, then I wouldn't unless you are not overclocking. Also, if you are headless, then might I assume you want something to set and forget? You probably want to avoid water anyways.

As for ITX, there are some nice cases out there. If you are using something less than 10 cores and not planning to overclock, then there are some nice cases out there depending on your budget.

Thermaltake Core V1
Ncase M1
Coolermaster Masterbox 200
Lian-Li 011D Mini
Coolermaster Elite

I really think you would like the HAF XB Evo though, you can take all of the sides and top off of it, it has a motherboard tray that sits horizontal and the PSU underneeth. It has removable drive bays.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...d=1&keywords=haf+xb+evo&qid=1620072209&sr=8-1

Last edited:
I am looking at eATX sized MB. If it fits that then it will fit anything I am likely to get.
Most likely will have water cooling. Or at least phase change.
Maybe I will have to build it.
Are MB trays available?

Yes, it has a motherboard tray.

If water, then no.

You should have Earth Dog Merge this thread with your others to keep everything together.

The image I was attempting to post was IMG_0613_50p.jpg, originally posted in 2010, by ???.
It shows a PVC frame with the MB on top, PSU, etc on the bottom, a 3-fan radiator on the right and red/black hoses.
Any idea who this was?

A thread for every thought about your new rig is a bit inefficient... this is all about your build and you've got three threads going now...... see how someone came in and has to start over asking basic questions about your build? :thup:

That said, no idea about whatever picture your're trying to upload. Maybe take a screenshot and upload that? Be sure you are in advance (Go Advanced button) when you upload. I believe you got the image from this site. Why not link the thread, or better yet, the post the image was in? You can copy the URL in your browser or click on the post # and save it and drop it in. Also, if you know the post, you should obviously be able to tell who posted it. ;)

Sorry, I was thinking about the parts being individual decisions. Please join all threads. Thank you.

This was taken from overclockers forums. I don't remember who.

Attachments

• nice-rig.jpeg
    nice-rig.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pic... so what's your question about it? Who's build is it and how? Are you able to link to the thread or post where you found the image here? I don't know offhand whos PC that is.

Have you looked at the classic Navig benching stations? There's sticky threads on those in the case section if you're interested in building your own.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/772899-Buidling-a-Benching-Station-Navig-Style
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/718306-Vertical-Benching-Station
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/742443-Exoframe-Mini

Just know that you should have a better idea of the hardware you want (and if you're going to blow a wad on mobo and PSU for no reason, :p) before you build/buy a chassis. But if you're still on the EATX $1K motherboard train, you're likely looking at mid-size+ type chassis or benching/open station.

tomdean, we need to increase the information flow. Right now, it feels like we're squeezing it out of you when it should be flowing from you like a faucet, lol. We're here to help, but help us so we can help you. As far as the build threads. I think these need to be separate for now, seeing how the other ones went.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic... so what's your question about it? Who's build is it and how? Are you able to link to the thread or post where you found the image here? I don't know offhand whos PC that is.

Have you looked at the classic Navig benching stations? There's sticky threads on those in the case section if you're interested in building your own.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/772899-Buidling-a-Benching-Station-Navig-Style
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/718306-Vertical-Benching-Station
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/742443-Exoframe-Mini

Just know that you should have a better idea of the hardware you want (and if you're going to blow a wad on mobo and PSU for no reason, :p) before you build/buy a chassis. But if you're still on the EATX $1K motherboard train, you're likely looking at mid-size+ type chassis or benching/open station.

tomdean, we need to increase the information flow. Right now, it feels like we're squeezing it out of you when it should be flowing from you like a faucet, lol. We're here to help, but help us so we can help you. As far as the build threads. I think these need to be separate for now, seeing how the other ones went.

I do not remember who did it. I searched for the image and did not find anything. Maybe the OP deleted it?

tomdean.. where did you get the image from in the first place?

What do you want out of this image? Can you please volunteer some information? My will to assist is dwindling with each post. :(

I got the image from overclockers.com some 8-10 years ago. I posted the image because I admired someone's ingenuity.

Back