• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Working setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bular

Hi everyone,

I'm new here as you can see.... Well I'm planning on building my first system :D

Can you guys help me out on tips and see if my setup will work?

Enermax, CS-3051L-S3A. SILVER. 2 x USB, 1 x MIC, 1 x headphone ports at front. POWERUP 350W P-4 power supply, Mid ATX Tower Case ATX. 4 X 5.25" Bays, 2 X 3.5" Bays, 4 X 3.5" Hidden. Dimensions: 486 x 200 x 427mm

Gigabyte GA-8IE533, Intel 845E chipset P4 motherboard ATX
Specifications:
CPU:pentium 4 Socket 478
FSB:533/400MHz
IDE: Ultra ATA 100/66 up to 4 devices
Chipset: 845E/ICH4
3x DDR 184pin 266/200 max 3GB
Slots:1x AGP4X, 5x PCI,
Ports:2x USB(rear), 1x LPT, 2x COM, PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse connector
Intregrated 5.1 channel Audio AC97

GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 4ns, 128MB DDR, Power Pack Golden Sample,
Specifications:
GPU: Geforce4 Ti-4200
MEM:128MB DDR (4ns)
Fill Rate: 4 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
Operations per Second: 1.03 Trillion
Memory Bandwidth: up to 8GB/Sec.
Integrated 32-bit color and 32-bit Z/Stencil Buffer.
Ports: 1 CRT + TV out, (No DVI, or TV-In),
Overclocking enhanced mode, DVD player software

Intel Pentium 4 2.4BGHz 512K 533MHz CPU Northwood P478 Processor Retail Box
Specifications:
CPU: Pentium 4 P4 2.4BGHz Northwood
Type: Northwood
Cache: 512K
BUS: 533MHz
Socket: P4 478
Retail Box (with Heatsink and fan)

CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB 32x64 PC 2700 DDR

Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246 Retail Buffer underrun error free & automatically adjust writing strategy plus running OPC to meet various burning condition.
Specifications:
Speed : Recording 52Xmax CAV Re-writing 24X High-Speed CLV Reading 52Xmax CAV
Interface : ATAPI-E/IDE, support up to Ultra-DMA Mode2 33.3MB/sec
Access Time : 80ms
Buffer Memory Size: 2MB
Operating System : Windows 95/98/NT/XP/2000/ME

Those are the parts I am ordering for my computer. I own and plan to add the following parts in:

Western Digital 120GB Harddrive 7200 RPM Special Edition

Toshiba DvD drive (forgot speed)

Any Ideas about if this setup will work? This is what I could afford and I like it... Any tips on installation?

hyour toshiba is prolly a 16x
i just built my first WORKING computer a month ago and its not much diiferent from what you have. I used RdRam which is much more expensive, so i had to cut it short on items like a hard drive and new vid card. But with your set up id say its going to come out to be probly around 800 dollars. Definately not more than 1000, because all in all my comp was about 900. If i was you, i would get the albatron geforce 4 4200 ti turbo, which performs like a 4600. Its proven, albatron makes good vid cards. Its also 128. I wouldnt rule out ATi though, they make some pretty kick *** cards, but i wouldnt suggest going with the new 9700, as i heard they are too buggy. As for your motherboard, i love gigabyte, but as for overclocking, i havent heard great things. You could probly get to 2.8 with stock cooling and voltage, but dont expect great things from it. You might want to consider investing into some corsair xms ddr, because i hear it is great for overclocking. I personally have no experience with DDR, as i am a RAMBUS man. I am wating on the new dual ddr boards to come out (granite bay) and it will make as good xmas present. overall man, your machine is going to rock, and when u get it running, come crunch for SETI!!!!!

If you are going to consider overclocking you might want to go with better ram, such as corsair xms 3000/3200, and for your cpu, a 2.26 or 2.53 might be better selections than the 2.4 (unless you can land a c1).

otherwise, you would have a great machine:D

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply guys....

I can't go any higher since my budget (under $700 and should be around 650) is my "bottleneck." DDR is the lame man's way :\

Doofie: The albatron is around 190$ and the gainward is 150$.... I need to spare money :(

Rasputin'sLiver: What is C1? I read in a few other posts that C1 is a 2.4BGhz? If it is.... thats what I'm getting, a 2.4BGhz 533mhz.
Also Liteon has released the 52x burner around late Sept./early Oct.

hmmm i hope you have some spare parts laying around, or youre not buying a new case because 650 bucks is an awful low amount of money to build i fast p4 system. I had about 800 dollars to spend and i was still hurtin... i built it in early october and i still need a new hdd, new vid card and new sound card :(

nope, 650$+ for full package.... I'm only adding in a few things. I have a 120gb hdd, 3.5" floppy, DVD drive. I have keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. already so basically i'm building a new tower.

If you can go and get more RAM 256 now a days is the near minimum you should have. 512 would be the better Idea.

Is there any way to get the CPU oem because you could save some money.

Looks good Hope you get it :cool:

I don't have the money for another 256mb ram, but I do plan on adding more later.

I need retail version of the processor because I don't have a heatsink, + on newegg the retail is cheaper than OEM... weird.

Well I got home (from school) and finally built it... but 1 problem... it doesn't boot! All it does is flash the front power LED and makes constant short beeps.

I asked a friend and he tested the memory and graphics card. Both are working fine. He inspected the processor and it looked ok. He thinks the motherboard is dead :(

I will try to RMA the motherboard to new egg and hope the next one works.... though I have 1 question. Anyone know if it is ok to get ASIII into the little hole pin locator on the p4? I think I accidentally covered the hole with some ASIII... hope this isn't the problem

Back