• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worms sending worms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grande Juan

Man I am getting pummeled with email attachments infected with the Klez [email protected] worm from people I don't think I even know. I have responded with polite emails describing the problem with links to a removel tool. Yet they keep coming, its really starting to chafe my buns. What in tarnation can I do about it? These people keep telling me "Its not my computer thats infected" well then I guess the poeple at symantec are lying jerks (not). Is it possible that their computers are not infected just carriers? I do know this worm attempts to disable virus software so it might not show up on a scan. Argh I think its time for a GTA3 rampage.

Mr. Chambers

Grande Juan said:
Man I am getting pummeled with email attachments infected with the Klez [email protected] worm from people I don't think I even know. I have responded with polite emails describing the problem with links to a removel tool. Yet they keep coming, its really starting to chafe my buns. What in tarnation can I do about it? These people keep telling me "Its not my computer thats infected" well then I guess the poeple at symantec are lying jerks (not). Is it possible that their computers are not infected just carriers? I do know this worm attempts to disable virus software so it might not show up on a scan. Argh I think its time for a GTA3 rampage.

if you go and read up on the Klez virus and all its variants, you will see why its the worst virus in history.. to make a long story short, it puts someone elses name in the sender box, but it didnt REALLY come from them, and their computer may or maynot be infected... thats whats so damn tricky about klez...

asj

damn! I want one! lol! joking! Get a new email! and reformatt your computer and tell anyone that has your old email to do the same as it could be one of them!

deez

its a nasty little virus/worm that will shut down symantec virus scan and spread over unsecured shares on your network overwriting files and creating hidden copies of the originals. Also mails itself out to others in your address book etc.. by spoofing

DaddyB

My neighbour had it...in fact she gets all the most popular viruses (virii?), nimda, klez, that loveletter one... She has a P3 1ghz and it slowed it to a crawl, then it wouldnt even boot into normal windows (only safe mode). I had to go to norton.com to use there online virus scanner (obviously before I was 100% sure it was a virus) since it disabled NAV, I think it only deleted one file from the NAV folder as well as remove it from the start menu.
So I think pretty much anyone who is infected with the virus would have a good idea that something was wrong with their computer.

In the future do as I do, use several email accounts - I have 2 hotmails and two from my ISP, that way I can have one email for friends/family, one for junk (signing up for stuff that requires email), one for online transactions (since a lot of companies assume since you bought something from them once that you should receive "flyers" every week) and one for other stuff (maybe online friends/forum subscriptions).

Its a bit of work to manage but I have never had a virus since I started doing it this way and I dont have to sort through my mail, 2 or 3 inboxes can just be deleted entirely and you can just read through the family/friends one.