• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth getting a PSP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

There are a few things I want to do sometime in the near future: 1) Play Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII, and 2) Replay my copies of Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX.

When it comes to replaying old PSX games, I don't have a television anymore (I do have a PSOne and the games), so I suppose I can buy a PSP and just use an emulator (?).

How likely is it that eventually, X, X2, and XII will be ported to PSP?

There are a few things I want to do sometime in the near future: 1) Play Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII, and 2) Replay my copies of Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX.

When it comes to replaying old PSX games, I don't have a television anymore (I do have a PSOne and the games), so I suppose I can buy a PSP and just use an emulator (?).

How likely is it that eventually, X, X2, and XII will be ported to PSP?

Well they'd have to dumb down the graphics a bit... But I'd say EXTREMELY likely since half the games available (used to be ALL the games available) for PSP are ports from PS2. It's more than capable of running scaled-down versions of PS2 games...and, in some cases, exact copies (Marvel Ultimate Alliance comes to mind...)

And if you're talking about playing PSX games... it's really a no brainer since the PSP plays ALL the PSX games by default. (I just put Shadowman and Medieval II, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on my uncle's psp. Every obscure title I've tried so far has worked.)

So for what you're talking about its DEFINATELY worth it.

A hell of a lot more efficient than playing on the PS1, 2, or 3 because you don't have to worry about memory cards (like you do on the PS1 and 2) and because you can take them with you.

Those games will most likely not be ported to the PSP. Its taken almost 20 years to port the snes games. And guess what... those ports SUCK. You may be waiting awhile.

Crisis Core is better than all of those games except maybe XII. Crapshoot there because CC's story is about 15 hours long.

FFT for PSP is ok but if you already played it on PS1 then don't buy it. There isn't enough new and the graphics were not updated at all. still uses the old menus. very lame.

Those games will most likely not be ported to the PSP. Its taken almost 20 years to port the snes games. And guess what... those ports SUCK. You may be waiting awhile.

Crisis Core is better than all of those games except maybe XII. Crapshoot there because CC's story is about 15 hours long.

FFT for PSP is ok but if you already played it on PS1 then don't buy it. There isn't enough new and the graphics were not updated at all. still uses the old menus. very lame.

Who cares about ports when you can play the actual SNES games on the PSP? (Althought I have NO IDEA how that's done... :rolleyes: ) just something I've heard.

Like I was saying, you don't have to "port" any PS1 games since the PSP has built-in support for playing them. All you have to do is transfer them from the PS3 or copy them to the memory stick and you're off to the races.

As for the other games in the series... I don't see why they'd be any more difficult than any of the other PS2 ports. Some of the multi-disc games might have to be multi-umd games... but I don't see how that would be a problem.

Like I was saying, you don't have to "port" any PS1 games since the PSP has built-in support for playing them. All you have to do is transfer them from the PS3 or copy them to the memory stick and you're off to the races.

Wait, so you can connect the PSP to PS3, insert the CD for the PS1 game, and just copy? Its that easy? :eek: I've been missing out!

The PSP is also a great pdf/html/txt ebook reader with the bookr application.

Wait, so you can connect the PSP to PS3, insert the CD for the PS1 game, and just copy? Its that easy? :eek: I've been missing out!

I'm not sure how it's done with the PS3 since I only recently discovered that you can run PS1 game on my 40GB PS3. But I know it can be done. I don't know if you stream it using remote play or have the PSP hooked up to USB, but I know it works.

I'm not sure how it's done with the PS3 since I only recently discovered that you can run PS1 game on my 40GB PS3. But I know it can be done. I don't know if you stream it using remote play or have the PSP hooked up to USB, but I know it works.

It's streamed. I have done it with Tekken.

The PSP has a lot of untapped potential too. I'm still waiting for the damned GPS to come out in the US. Once it does then I'm getting a mount for my car and using the PSP along with the biggest Memstick I can afford to play all my MP3s, play videos and use GPS with it. It will make up for the $5000 option my car doesn't have :D

Can those of you with PSPs let me know if the accepted voltage for the player/adapter is 120-240V?

Hopefully it is. I couldn't take over my GBA overseas because it would only take the North American 120V.

Can those of you with PSPs let me know if the accepted voltage for the player/adapter is 120-240V?

Hopefully it is. I couldn't take over my GBA overseas because it would only take the North American 120V.

That's ridiculous. You could've just gotten a new power adapter for your GBA once you got to Europe... Kinda short-sighted... but too late now. :)

And yes, the PSP adapter is 120-240. I used mine in France for 2-3 years.

Back