• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it to do CPU blowhole?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

man_utd

Worth it to do CPU duct?

I am running a prescott, case temps are about 22C, CPU stays at about 39C idle, 45C load, was wondering if cutting out the hole to make it a thermally advantaged chassis would make any difference.

This cpu seems to have hit it's peak at 3.1ghz, so anything else would just to get it a tad cooler.

My old northwood stayed at about 31C idle, 36C load.

Last edited:

squirtle632

Your temps are nothing to be worried about or complaining about for that matter.
Most Prescott owners would aspire to get to those temps.

As far as a "blow hole" goes, I think it would make a bit of a difference but prob not as much as you are hoping for. Poss. 2-3°C

TBW

Registered
My P4 2.4C @ 3.0 was running 52-53 C when loaded at 100% with SETI. In just the last few days I cut a 2" hole right over the case and stuck an old P3 Thermaltake CPU fan in it. My temps dropped to 44-45C. This is in a room that maintains a temperature of 80-83 F. I also have a very old, poorly designed mid-tower that is very full. Good air flow through the case can not happen.

Sterculus

A fan in the side of the case directly over the CPU (I think that's what you are referring to, a CPU duct) should help your temps by a couple of degrees, dependant on your ambient temps and how good your airflow already is (if you have excellent airflow, it may not make much of a difference, if you have really bad airflow it may make a much more noticable improvement. However, as squirtle pointed out, your temps really aren't that bad, especially for a prescott.

OP
M

man_utd

I guess I will leave it be for a while, airflow is very good in this case, just don't feel like cutting acrylic today.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Make a test panel out of corrugated cardboard, to duplicate the demensions of the side panel. Cut the fan hole and mount fan.Tape the test panel to the case to seal it..You can repositon the fan if need be by closing off the other hole, or making another test panel..After you see if it helps and by how much, then you can do your cutting on the side panel..:) The bigger the fan the better..92mm minimum..IMHO.:burn::)

OP
M

man_utd

I have a few 92mms laying around, cutting the acrylic actually isnt hard, so I might consider doing it.

I'm off to the hardware store to do some lapping though, might as well go ahead and do it.

OP
M

man_utd

My case has a 80mm fan in the way sorta, so its a little more to the right of where I wanted it, but it does get more of the northbridge in.

Went and added an old asus northbridge heatsink and used some alumina adhesive to put on southbridge. Lowered ambient 1, load fluctuates between 38-39C

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
What prog. do you use to load the system and are you running 2 instances to get 100% load? Your chip does have hyper thread! :burn::) Whats the ambient room temp?

OP
M

man_utd

does not have hyper threading. I run prime95 twice or folding to hil load.

Ambient is about 20C Ambient case is 21C