• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it to get a M.2 adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
my opinion, not unless you have a case that does not hold enough 2.5 ssd's.
m.2 sata is faster than sata but a good 2.5 ssd is some place in between and that would be worth it.

trents

m.2 SATA has the same bandwidth limitation as 2.5" SATA. Only when you move up to m.2 PCI-e does it get faster. It's the SATA bus that is the limiting factor.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I agree MR. Trents, but my better 2.5 sata ssd is much faster than my old, cheap 2.5 ssd and my m.2 sata ssd is some what faster than that.

trents

That may just reflect the improvement in chips and memory controllers rather than the format of the connection.

TechJunky

I know this is an old thread, but basically your saying to move up from standard SSD speeds 500MB/'s or so to 2000MB/s is not worth it?

Sorry, the way that was worded it may have sounded sarcastic...

I guess what I am wondering, has anyone tried moving to PCIE based adapter card to use a NVME M.2 SSD?

I own an ASUS Z87-A motherboard and was looking at this adapter card...

http://a.co/9Q6Qk78

Anyone have experience with these adapter cards? Do you get the advertised speeds on the drive with them? Few reviews stating the adapter performed as expected.

Last edited:

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
that asus card is as fast as being directly on the m.2 port. full bandwidth at every level as long as you have it in x4 mode.
and that is with a samsung 960 pro in it even