• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it trying to fix a 24port switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Two switches died at my work over the weekend. One of them appears to have been due to seized up fans. Blowing the dust off of them, neither one would spin on its own.

The second one though has a working fan (tested it on on a 5V to verify). The unit was very warm to the touch. It is a Netgear 24 port Gigabit switch. JGS524 v1. Failure symptoms were very low to no bandwidh on attached devices. They could see the network, but it would take 3-5 minutes to open a network folder. Then it would fail entirely, report no network connection, then reconnect and repeat the cycle.

Swapping it out with a different switch resolve the problem, and there were no slow-downs or failures after that point.

Sound like something worth trying to fix for a free switch? My work authorized buying a new switch and told me to scrap out the old one.

Sure...so long as ya have th' time and like futzin' with stuff that would drive others bats*** crazy :D
I personally like makin' things work that have been borked :)
Satisfaction wise...worth it.
Otherwise? Probably not.

Unless you need them for home use I see two options here:
1) Sell as-is on eBay noting it is non-working, you'll get some cash.
2) Potentially fix and then sell on eBay/forum as working! You'll get mo' cash this way :)

Back