• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would a 2100+ be golden?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Commander_Kang

Speedy Dragon
Depends on the core etc...But as far as I know that cpu wont go much higher.If it is the same core type as the 1600xps then you wont be able to go much higher I believe.

maxima88

Might as well get a XP1600+ AGOIA chip rather than the XP2100+. You'll save a lot of money and still o/c to about the same speed.

Check the CPU Database at overclockers.com for answers on overclocking potential for the 2100 Palamino. I think sort of as a rule of thumb, as the CPU speed increases, the Percent overclock you can expect goes down for a given Core type. There is a limit to what the core is capable of. The XP2100+ was the last of the Palaminos for a reason.
The Process had about reached it's limit. The 2100+ will overclock, but the percentage increase will be smaller than a slightly slower CPU because the slower CPU has more headroom before it hits the Core's limit. That's why AMD changed the core to the "A" type and again to the "B". I doubt you'll find any "A" type 2100+'s yet. They will almost certainly be Palaminos. Best to wait a few months and see if you can snag an "A" T-bred 2100+ although they seem to be tricky to overclock if the 2200 is any indicator. After all the "A" type only adds one more speed grade than the Palamino. Not much more headroom there.
AMD does list the "B" core in 2100+ speed in it's tech docs, but it may be a while until they would trickle down to that speed. Yields will have to improve before they start speedbinning "B"'s down to the lower speeds.

In order, The T-Bred "B" should o/c better than the "A", and the "A" should do better than the Palamino, speed for speed, all else being equal (Never in real Life).

SemiCycle

I you want to get one of the original XP chips between 1600xp and 2100xp, look at either getting a good stepping in either the 1600xp or the 1800xp chips.

If you want one of the newer model chips, look at the 2400XP

Instead of the XP1600 palamino as suggested, you might try the 1700+ "A" T-breds that newegg and others are selling. The 1700+ "A" should do better than the 1600+ Palamino.

neweggs prices - 1600+ Palamino $58.00
1700+ T-Bred A - $60.00
1800+ T-Bred A - $69.00
and free shipping on their CPU's (what a deal)

Yodums

Athlonman, are you buying locally or online? Don't forget he's Canadian so his choices may very well be limited, I know mine are. Local stores may have probably stopped selling 1600+'s and may or may not sell 1700+. My recommendation would be in the following order if it was local:

1 - See if they have an XP 1600+
Check the steppings and look for AGOIA "Y" 0213 or AROIA 0223 I believe

2 - If not, do the same for 1700+ and if not, 1800+

3 - Last resort - Go for the 2100+ and look for an AGOIA stepping and the latest week possible

If it's online, make sure that store will give you a stepping you want.

Good point Yodums, I missed the fact that he hails from our neighbor to the North. Your list is a good starting point with one caveat However. I can't see buying an older Palomino Chip if a new "A" T-Bred is available. I think your list should be amended to "Try and find a T-Bred "A" first and then if you can't, use the list provided below... :)
After all, the Palamino is now 2 generations old and if possible to find in the Great White North , a newer Core revision would be better.

Last edited:
OP
Athlonman

Athlonman

Okay I think I will wait for the xp 2400+ comes down in price.

Now just becouse i am canadian doesn't mean I can't get good deals (I do have a paypal account LOL)

Well I don't want to get a 1600+ becouse I used to have one and now yodums has it! (Hows it running)

Last edited:

ChillPhatCat

I dunno, I'm pretty happy running at near 2200+ speeds with a FSB of 354
:D

I have an AGOIA "9"

You should probably get a 2400+ though, very nice chips I hear... and by the time the price drops there ought to be some very nice steppings available.

Yodums

Athlonman said:
Okay I think I will wait for the xp 2400+ comes down in price.

Now just becouse i am canadian doesn't mean I can't get good deals (I do have a paypal account LOL)

Well I don't want to get a 1600+ becouse I used to have one and now yodums has it! (Hows it running)

It's still running good. LOL, but, what's your reason for not wanting a 1600+ again? ;) Because I have it? :D The one you gave me was 0208 which was fairly 'average' for an AGOIA in comparison with the week 13's and possibly 12.

Hardware Jedi:

Good point, but if he goes local, I doubt he'd find one. Local vendors most likely won't carry that as customers won't know a difference between neither of them other than price and seeing as they are the same PR and the T-Bred is more expensive, they will go with the lower one unless the dude persuades them.

Yodums

Emericana

i say go for the tbred 1800+ if you want to overclock big i got mine and in a mere 4 hours allready have it at 1.83ghz with 1.7volt (it may be able to do it w/ even less voltage this was the first one i tried)