• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would an overheated ps smell like a burnt cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natopotato

would an overheated ps smell like a burnt cpu? i may have been mistaken about my cpu being fyed cuz turns out the ps is screwed over:rolleyes:

sure would. If your getting that hot overheated metal smell or the burnt marshmallow smell then your pushing you PS too much.

I overheated a deer 300w power sup with a 80w peltier. It use to smell like hot metal after running for a whole day straight. Finally one day i got the burnt marshmallow smell and now it won't turn on...i toasted it...literally.

My opinion is if the out side of the PS is hot it's way too small. I remember mine heating up pretty good. Extra fans didn't help it. You probably need to look through your system and start guessing at how much power your drawing and look for a good power supply with enough watts and amps for your particular system.

i may have been mistaten about my fryd cpu cuz turns out the ps was toast and all that worked on the ps was cpu fan came on so i assumed that the cpu got toasted...........

Back