• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would appreciate some suggestions on a new CPU MB combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I will go to the Asus site and look. why do some of the Asus MBs have the heatsink cooling is common? I misspoke to EarthDog in the begining of this thread it was 2015 I built this system not 2018 so it's been a while since I even looked at MB's

why do some of the Asus MBs have the heatsink cooling is common?

I'm sure it's a cost saving measure to have a standardized mainboard with only minor changes between skus to support the various other major features they incorporate between each model. EG no reason to design a new VRM solution for a board whose only change is adding a WIFI controller.

I went to the Asus site to compare and was lost their site is hard to navigate. I went to newegg and they have a compare feature that you can pick any motherboard and compare and it highlights the differences. I saw the differences but to be honest I didn't understand what some of them were. However in reading some reviews this MB had some LAN issues did you run into any? somethign about the board not recognizing the ethernet cable?

I’ve never encountered any LAN issues, no. Have used windows 10 and 11 with the board, no issues.

My computer is connected with a cat6ethernet cable so no need for wifi. This is starting to get stressful thinking about building another system but I am glad you are getting a kick out of my posts. when I buy them I like more than I need. I'm a retired Private Investigator and Bail bondsman. On my bussiness card for my bail bond comnpany I had " It's better to know a bail Bondsman and not need him than to need one and not know one" I think the same when I buy things, better to have too many and not need them than to need them and not have them. So no knowing what I need and wanting more of them makes sence to me.

At least you are getting a good laugh today......lol

I was talking about EarthDog. Good to know you had no LAN issues most I read were back in 2021 my quotes are not working for some reason.. sorry for the confusion

Not sure who you're talking to.
Me, I'd imagine. I posted something up about ethernet almost 2 hours ago and, apparently, he's now just responding to that. Eaglepi, you can highlight the passage you want and hit reply, or just hit the reply button to quote the entire post. It would prevent this confusion if you're not responding to things above you/chronologically. :)

I was hitting the quote link on your post but for some reason it didn't show up as a quote. This time I highted the text and clicked quote that came up when highlighted. You know I was just joking back to you and the things you were laughing at. See it didn't quote your post again???

Any chance you can get your capture card tested in a newer system to confirm it works? Would suck to build a new system and find out the card is dead and has nothing to do with old hardware. The you don't meet minimum requirements from support is a common response for we don't know why its not working anymore and just want to get rid of you.

To bad you don't want to consider AMD, Elgato capture cards work fine with Ryzen 7+ also, and can get incredible bundles on them right now.
Any chance you live near a Microcenter? If so can always go in there and pick out parts you want and have them build it for you if want, minus any parts you want to re-use.
Buying any other kind of pre-built Intel I don't think would work well\cost to much unless you wanted to replace it all.

Any chance you can get your capture card tested in a newer system to confirm it works? Would suck to build a new system and find out the card is dead and has nothing to do with old hardware. The you don't meet minimum requirements from support is a common response for we don't know why its not working anymore and just want to get rid of you.

To bad you don't want to consider AMD, Elgato capture cards work fine with Ryzen 7+ also, and can get incredible bundles on them right now.
Any chance you live near a Microcenter? If so can always go in there and pick out parts you want and have them build it for you if want, minus any parts you want to re-use.
Buying any other kind of pre-built Intel I don't think would work well\cost to much unless you wanted to replace it all.
The chances are very low of a brand new card that was working for a month and then after a update of the capture software the card fails. Elgato said the same. I don't have another system to try it in and was going to sell it but my system is old so this may be a good time to build a new one. If the capture card doesn't work in the new system ( I know it will work ) at least I will have a updated system. Thanks for trying to save me money but it's time for a new system it may not be for a few weeks or months but want to get the stuff I need soon. I finally was able to quote someones post so things are looking up for me.......lol

It seems like you keep your computer for several yrs(I do too)my last computer was eight + years old and I loved it. The only reason I updated was <--aaaa don't remember, but anyway I try to buy the best <---very subjective I can afford/want. I was a big Asus fan back in 98-99 and built a few with them. I've now tried other brands, MSI, and Gigabyte, and haven't had any problems. You might try that just to see what's out there, can't hurt. These newer computers are super fast and the latest/greatest prices are coming down so.....I understand the "I'm older" most guys on this site are around the same age and that's why I like being here, of course, the info is amazing, I'm 62 and getting dumber by the day.:)

I appreciate the suggestion but I've built I think 4 systems since 97 and everyone had a Asus and never had one issue with any of them, in fact the only hardware issue I have ever had is a power supply "I've been lucky" So although I am sure all those brands make good products including MBs but I'm a " if it isn't broken, don't fix it" kind of guy. It's funny I am a Asus MB guy but I don't buy any of their other hardware........lol It's the MB's I like and I assume that whatever features other brands have in their MB's , I feel Asus keeps up with the Jones....lol

Now if I bite the bullet and build this system watch this MB have issues now that I said so many things good about Asus :) I plan to build a new system but wife got things going on and I do too so I don't want to start this until I have the time. As time goes on the prices will only get better.

I got some good advice from earthDog about a i5 or i3 whene I was going to get a i7 cpu.. He made me see the light and that will save me some money too.

Thanks again for the suggestions

I'm still in the process of trying to understand the technology better before I purchase my new hardware. When a CPU says "Up to 4.40 Ghz or the newers ones go higher. When you don't overclock the CPU as I do, how do I find otu what my CPU is running at?

I never overclock which may sound stranage since I am a member here and other overclock forums but I just think people who are that knowledgable about hardware in overclocking most likely know hardware very well so even though I don't overclock or haven't in the past I feel I get the best suggestions from these forums.

I assume that CPU's are built to be overcloved.. I won't go into how and why that will lead to too many questions but in general is that how they are built?

I answered the question about the USB card, I have it installed but not using any ports so I don't need a slot for it. Just my GPU and Capture card. I understand that a i3 is way better than what I have now and appreciate you explaining it that way. It will save me money.
Just to check, why don't you try pulling that USB card and make sure the capture card still doesn't work.

Page 21 of your motherboard manual states
When using PCI cards on shared slots, ensure that the drivers support “Share IRQ” or that the cards do not need IRQ assignments. Otherwise, conflicts arise between the two PCI groups, making the system unstable and the card inoperable.
and page 22 has some sort of diagram explaining what slots are shared and in what conditions, though I can't decipher it.
Some of us have to dial our brains back in time quite a bit, but to me it makes sense to rule out an IRQ conflict before buying new hardware.

Anyway, I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring for new hardware advice 11th Gen https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H2vZNc or 12th Gen https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3sFcLs $342 for either somehow the price ended up about a quarter difference. You could also call thermalright to see if they offer mounting hardware for your existing cooler and save a few bucks.

EDIT: I completely missed your question about CPUs OC. Basically manually overclocking a CPU for daily use is a thing of the past. Sure some do it and there's nothing wrong with it, but the benefit vs effort makes it more of a hobby / fun value than a significant cost saving endeavor. CPUs basically automatically adjust frequency within set parameters such that it could be said to be automatically overclocking itself, by default. There are of course lots of minutia and variance between generations, but the gist of it is that you can plug it in and expect that for workloads that rely on speed a single or two cores will boost up to that number listed as "up to" while for more heavy multi-threaded workloads the CPU will function at a power and thermal limit which is pre-defined and will boost well above the base clock but not all the way to the "up to" spec. The other important thing is the memory speed, which is enabled by setting XMP. The difference between 3200, 3600 or even 4000 is trivial for most uses, but the difference between the JDEC spec (plug and play default) and enabling the XMP profile saved to the memory chip (which only takes a few minutes in the BIOS, if that) is notable.

In summary, I guess in the past they were "built to be overclocked" in that every CPU for a set model had to be able to perform the same, so someone could come in and exploit the overhead in manufacturing by overclocking in the past. Now, for the most part, CPUs are able to exploit that overhead on their own which is why clocks are advertised as base and boost or up-to specs.

Last edited:
Just to check, why don't you try pulling that USB card and make sure the capture card still doesn't work.

Page 21 of your motherboard manual states

and page 22 has some sort of diagram explaining what slots are shared and in what conditions, though I can't decipher it.
Some of us have to dial our brains back in time quite a bit, but to me it makes sense to rule out an IRQ conflict before buying new hardware.

Anyway, I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring for new hardware advice 11th Gen https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H2vZNc or 12th Gen https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3sFcLs $342 for either somehow the price ended up about a quarter difference. You could also call thermalright to see if they offer mounting hardware for your existing cooler and save a few bucks.

EDIT: I completely missed your question about CPUs OC. Basically manually overclocking a CPU for daily use is a thing of the past. Sure some do it and there's nothing wrong with it, but the benefit vs effort makes it more of a hobby / fun value than a significant cost saving endeavor. CPUs basically automatically adjust frequency within set parameters such that it could be said to be automatically overclocking itself, by default. There are of course lots of minutia and variance between generations, but the gist of it is that you can plug it in and expect that for workloads that rely on speed a single or two cores will boost up to that number listed as "up to" while for more heavy multi-threaded workloads the CPU will function at a power and thermal limit which is pre-defined and will boost well above the base clock but not all the way to the "up to" spec. The other important thing is the memory speed, which is enabled by setting XMP. The difference between 3200, 3600 or even 4000 is trivial for most uses, but the difference between the JDEC spec (plug and play default) and enabling the XMP profile saved to the memory chip (which only takes a few minutes in the BIOS, if that) is notable.

In summary, I guess in the past they were "built to be overclocked" in that every CPU for a set model had to be able to perform the same, so someone could come in and exploit the overhead in manufacturing by overclocking in the past. Now, for the most part, CPUs are able to exploit that overhead on their own which is why clocks are advertised as base and boost or up-to specs.
Thanks for the info and the explaiination about CPU's. So when a CPU says up to 5.0 it means that that CPU will use the power up to 5.0 as needed so overclocking is not needed.. makes sense. You guys give me good info. EarthDog explained about the hardware and you the CPU in detail helps a lot thanks guys

Another question about Asus motherboard, I am noticing that a lot of the MB's now have WiFi. I am hardwired into my system. would it be samrt to get a MB that is WiFi and not use it?

Another question about Asus motherboard, I am noticing that a lot of the MB's now have WiFi. I am hardwired into my system. would it be samrt to get a MB that is WiFi and not use it?
People do this all the time run hardwired. There's nothing to worry about at all. Never has never will (7up?, lol).

If you have network trouble, the wifi would be a back up/sanity check. ;)

Thanks as always EarthDog! I highligted the reply you gave me and I got 2 option "quote of reply" I chose quote and as you can see it didn't quote your reply what am I doing wrong??? when I clicked "quote" I saw the banner that comes up top saying it is a multi something reply The somethng is my word becasue I don't remember the exact term that popped up.

I'd like to get this corrected so when I reply I can qoute parts or all of the reply

Back