• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would I benefit from a side intake case fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ed.howell

I notice that when I remove the side panel of my case that my cpu temps drop about 6-7 degrees C. If I mounted a side intake case fan would this help me or hurt me? Is that a good way to test, by removing the side panel? I have a Hyper 6 HSF and the fan on the HS would be perpendicular to the side intake fan and the bezels of the fans would also line up. Would the fans being this close to each other actually hurt cooling?
I have a Coolermaster Wavemaster case and the fan's are as follows, 2 80mm front intake fans about 30cfm each, 1 rear exhaust 80mm fan about 30cfm, 1 top exhaust fan 80mm about 25cfm, and 2 80mm 35cfm each fans blowing across my Hyper6 HS the one towards the front of the case pulling air thru the HS and the one towards the back of the case helping pull the air thru the HS and out the rear.

Thanks in advance!!

squirtle632

Simple solution........
Get a box the size of your side panel.
Cut a hole for the fan and mount it on the cardboard.
Seal crack with tape and check temps.
Compare.
If it works THEN cut into your case door.

mtb856

Yes, having a side panel fan does help to lower your temps. What it does is bring the ambient temp air from your room and blow it to your cpu fans and video card, which lowers the temperature of the air entering the HSF... lowering your cpu and gpu temps. Some people only have one fan, but if you don't have a window... I would suggest putting 2 92mm fans in your side panel... one in the general area of the cpu and the other by your graphics card to eliminate the dead spot in your case cooling.

You shouldn't have a problem with the fans being so close as long as they are intake , if the side panel fans were exhaust, then you might have a problem b/c the side fans would be working against the HSF.

Having more fans as intake reduces the dust in your case as well, b/c it creates a slightly positive air pressure in the case and causes air to blow out of the cracks in the case... if you had neg. pressure, the air would suck in through the cracks and bring dust along with it.

[edit] I would try what Squirtle suggested ^^^ first though, just to make sure it helps before you tear into your case.

OP
E

ed.howell

Thanks a lot guys. I actually just took some measurements and I am going to test it out before I cut my side panel.

mtb856, that's a good idea about the 2 fans. I don't do any ocing of my graphics card and when I feel the heatsink it's barely warm so I might try one fan first.

mtb856

Yeah, I don't oc my graphics card either, but what happens is that there is a dead spot in that area where air from the fans doesn't push the hot air out, so having a fan there should lower your case temps a little.

If you're going to put a hole in your case, might as well do both... save you some work down the road. IMHO at least :)

[edit]

Wow, I just noticed you have a Wavemaster case... you're one of the first people that I've met who'll actually do exterior mods to it. Most don't want to chance scratching the paint. I salute you :clap: :D

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Best way to find out is to make a test panel out of corrugated cardboard..Cut it to the same size as your side panel and mount the fan in the propossed spot and tape the test panel to the case..Test your temps..:)

Say goodnight ARCH.. :(
I didn't see your post squirtle632 :-/

Last edited:

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
archilochus said:
Best way to find out is to make a test panel out of corrugated cardboard..Cut it to the same size as your side panel and mount the fan in the propossed spot and tape the test panel to the case..Test your temps..:)

From a Monetary and R&D standpoint.

You just can't beat the original CAD* system. :D

*Cardboard Aided Design