• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would newegg let me RMA this mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaBigJ

When I installed a YS Tech TMD fan on the CPU heatsink and plugged it into the cpu fan header on the motherboard, the fan did not work properly. It was reluctant to spin and would stall often. Then the power supply began to stink like burning electronics. After replacing it with a new 350w Fortron, the motherboard would no longer power fans attached to any of the fan headers.

It is an Asus A78NX Deluxe motherboard (nforce2). Is there some incompatibility with the TMD fan?

Should I try to RMA the motherboard? I got it from newegg 8 months ago.

i kinda thought you had to rma through newegg, or at least it was better. Even though it's 8 months old, newegg will still let me submit an rma request.

I have the Asus A7N8X deluxe running a TMD fan on the cpu so I doubt it is a compatibility problem.

I have sent somthing back to new egg a year after I bought it,It was a PSU and I ordered it a year befor I ordred by pc and when i tried to set it up and it was dead and they took it back no problem

Killing motherboard Fan headers can happen. They dont supply enough power for some fans, which should then be powered via the main feed off the PSU. I would say that is the likely cause of your dead fan headers. I dont know if they would accept an RMA. Fan manufacturers will usually let you know if a fan draws more power than a fan header can supply (some deltas spring to mind as drawing a lot of power).

it was a 70mm TMD fan rated for 2 or 2.2 watts. It shouldn't have killed the fan headers, but it looks like it has.

Back