• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would "spinner" fans be possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

Has anyone made "spinner" fans yet? They would be similar to the spinning rims, but for computer fans. Those would look soo good. Your fan would be on but the spinning part would turn in slow motion to make it look like your fan was on low, when it's really at the normal setting. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Robrules18

you could do that now, make a grill for it, but it would have to be pretty un-aerodynamic to keep RPMs down, all you need is the "rims sections" and to glue them to a ball bearing.

vonkaar

I would kick my own *** for putting one of those on my car er... computer.

Maybe I'm imagining it in a different light than you? I could be wrong... it might actually look cool... it's just that this has triggered my 'tacky' meter pretty harshly.

Smirabi

yeah... tacky isnt the word i'd use, but there should be a limit to where "bling" gets placed. and for me, that limit is... well, actually i dont put "bling" anywhere, so i certainly dont want my fans to look like over-priced, over-valued and over-praised wheels. BUT... if it's your thing, go for it. it's just not my thing.

mod on

Band-aid

Registered
looks and tackiness aside, having a free spinning disc over a fan is how some sirens are built. might sound like the fire dept. just showed up.
but then a cooling fan may not move the air fast enough, i don't know.

DaWiper

Image Compare Man
What matters is: Does it look ugly? Does it make alot of noise? If yes in any, than nope! Why not get an industrial aircompressor instead???? One of those that need 400v(3-phase) to work...

Nightingale

Why does it sound like people are shutting him down. I understand from the technical stand point that this my not be the best thing for performance but for whatever reason if he wants bling on his pc then more power to him. This is what modding is all about coming up with unique things that you case stand apart from others. (just my opinion)

OP
NiTrO bOiE

NiTrO bOiE

Of course it's going to cut down on performance. I never said I was going to actually do it, I was just asking if it was possible. Yes they look tacky on cars if you dont have the right rims/car combination. They might look good as a side case fan though.

Ziggey

NiTrO bOiE said:
Has anyone made "spinner" fans yet? They would be similar to the spinning rims, but for computer fans. Those would look soo good. Your fan would be on but the spinning part would turn in slow motion to make it look like your fan was on low, when it's really at the normal setting. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I hope Im not misinturpiting this but they sell those here is Korea. Many cases you can buy have them in the front, with the fan behind it. They usually have multi color LED's that change color every second or so and the spinner in front changes color with it. Its basically a fan looking thing with about 15-20 blades on it instead of the normal 4. It looks cool, and doesn't seem to impare performance much. I'll post a pic when my camera charges up. Might take a while because i'm in the middle of moving.

FireMogle

PunkRawk911 said:
It's unnecessary, probably undoable, and definately really ugly.

Whether or not somthing is necessary has little impact of most people on this forum.

I personally would find this a horrid sight on my case, but I can say the same about alot of other peoples stuff as well as people saying the same about mine, the guy asked a simple question, and all he got was flack in return.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
NiTrO bOiE said:

thats what i rheobus is for....i can make any of my fans look, and sound like they are going slow.

keep it off everything, or at least out of the computer....

spinners on cars is just worthless IMO

affende

i may get bashed for being a nood, but alot of you ARE shutting him down...modding , to me and a lot of others, has never been about pleasing everyone around you. Modding is all about pleasing yourself and making somehting you like. at one point i decided not to do a mod because a few people (on a similar forum) bashed the hell out of the idea, later i re-thought for what, for whom, and why am i modding...i went back to my terribly bashed design and actuially did it...the end product wasn't exactly ewhat i had wanted but it was pretty close and i lked it. i gues waht im saying is that modding is for yourself (unless you are contracted to do it for someone else, of course) and if other people's decisions ultimately decide your mods, you may be modding for the wrong reason...but thats just me.

about teh mod: i personally think spinners are cool (albeit i would NEVER have them) and i think it would be sweet on a comp...as long as your aren't making a 120mm fan a spinner!!

happy modding...end hatred; kill everyone.

vonkaar

Flaming someone is different than disagreeing with one's ideas. Just as someone is free to express their opinion on what is tasteful, we are free to disagree with them. As long as we don't insult the person, we are doing nothing wrong. If I asked about covering my case in dismembered barbie heads, I wouldn't cry if people told me that it might look f'ugly. It's my taste and I wouldn't necessarily expect people to agree with it.

Although, my opnion is completely flawless, so that point is null.

Regardless... nobody is committing any 'foul' here. Nobody called Nitro 'stupid' for coming up with this, they (we) simply said that they wouldn't do it themselves because they (I) would find it ugly and/or tasteless. If he went ahead and found a solution to his problem, some of us might eat our words... it may end up looking absolutely brilliant. It's up to him to either listen to our opinions or prove us wrong with an excellent mod.

Don't cry foul unless any personal attack was made. None was, in this post.