• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this be too dishonest and would it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Lets say I head over to frys and buy myself a retail 2100+ Thoroughbred. I take it home, swap it with my 2100+ Palomino and return the Palomino.

1. Will they tell the difference?
2. Is that too dishonest?

I'm just a little disappointed about the amount I was able to overclock this thing.

Maximouse

Krusty said:
Lets say I head over to frys and buy myself a retail 2100+ Thoroughbred. I take it home, swap it with my 2100+ Palomino and return the Palomino.

I'm just a little disappointed about the amount I was able to overclock this thing.

hmmmm. Lots of those chips usually have a serial # on an unremovable sticker, but when you take it back you may get one of the less technical clerks who hasnt a clue.

Is it dishonest, well its your conscience. If the chip works at the speed its rated for then you are getting what you paid for! If it overclocks well, then thats a bonus. If you want a guarantee that the chip will run faster then you have to pay for the faster model.

My 2 cents.
Al

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Krusty said:

You have got to be kidding?! Just because you got the shortend of the stick you wanna ripp them off? I hope you get caught doing it:mad:

Ghost68

well i think you hava a 50/50 chance of pulling it off...

if the techs there are smart they will check the processor for damage before they let you return it and considering the core on the thurobred(sp?) look different than the core on the palomino they might catch it... now if they do thats stealing and you you will at least get permanently from that paticular store(maby even the whole chain) and on top of that you probably get arrested now wouldnt that be embarasing.... of course you could try and convince them that you left the real processor on your kitchen(or whatever) table and you accadentally grabbed the wrong one on your way out the door(and pray they buy it)....

now on the other hand they may not notice at all considering most people in chain stores are idiots chosen because of their ability to delever polite customer service and not their tech savvyness...

another thing to realize is ususally inorder to get a refund/exchange they get you name address and phone number and someone might catch it later on... so dont think you got away with it just because you got out of the store in one piece...

so honestly i really wouldnt do it... but if its worth the risks to you go for it and let us kno how well she overclocks...

now for my alternative....
go buy the new processor and sell your old one either in the classafides(sp?) here or on ebay that way you still get some cash back and its legal....

*edit* damn 2 replies in the time it took me o type this up...

Newbie_Doo

Admin Parent
We DON'T tolerate or condone advocating dishonest practices here. If you want a T-Bred, buy it. If you want something for your Palomino, then sell it here.

If you have to ask if something is dishonest, then you have answered your own question.

:rolleyes:

Anthony

garwain

Krusty said:
Can you find any difference at all between the processors? If you can detect a difference between them, it's very likely that they would be able to spot it as well. What about the serial number? I think most processors now have a serial number built into them, so they would notice the difference if they checked that.

They would probably want to know why you are returning the processor. What would you tell them?

Krusty said:
You buy one processor, then return another one, possibly not even bought there. How can that be anything but dishonest. You are returning a used part and expecting to get back the full value of a brand new part of different specs. That is, as other have said, theft.

Just to illustrate what you want to do, consider this. A kid goes into a store and picks up a grape sucker, unwraps it, licks it a few times and decides he would prefer a lime sucker. So he take the lime sucker unwraps it, and wraps the licked grape sucker in the lime wrapper, and put it down in the lime pile. Now you are the next person to walk past the display, and you think a lime sucker would make your day. You grap the inviting one that looks slightly out of place on top of the pile, and go to the cash, pay for it, and then as half way home, you decide you can't wait any longer. How do you feel when you unwrap the sticky grape sucker?

What about the guy who goes bu a christler dealership and sees a nice red PT Cruiser. He has an identical PT Cruiser at home, except that this one has better apolstry (sp?) on the seats, and the radio doesn't pick up his favorit station well. So he takes this one for a test drive, swings by his house swaps the temporary licence on this one, with the plate on his PT Cruiser, drives his back to the lot and tells the dealer he isn't interested. Do you see this as right? Do you think the dealer will notice that this is a different car? Do you think if it goes unnoticed at the time, that they won't figure it out later and go after the guy? The value of the second hand car is less than the brand new one.

LutaWicasa

, Immutable, Administrator
Krusty said:

Answers to your questions:

1. Doesn't matter one way or the other.
2. Yes.

(note to self: keep an eye in the classifieds :rolleyes: )

Shadow ÒÓ

Mod in Hiding
reddeathdrinker said:
C'mon Krusty - you've been around OC.com for long enough to know the answer to that sort of question before you even post it.........

I'm with RDD......as long as you've been around here, I would've expected better of you as well. :eh?:

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
think of it from the other end of the spectrum... if you go to a store, wanting to buy a processor, buy it, take it home, get it out and find out that it is a different processor... i know that i would be completed ticked off. then if you tried to take it back and say that is it the wrong processor, they may not believe you... then how would you feel?? that's what i thought... i sure know i would be awfully bitter after investing my money into something and realizing it's not the same thing as you thought it was...

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
This should not even be discussed. If you do that, you're a thief. No matter how big the company is, or how much money they have, you're still a thief if you do that.

Please don't.

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
Krusty said:

yes it is dishonest, but i bet you have a 95% chance of it working. I bet if you exchange it with a celeron you'd still get away with it.

progamer

It is definitely dishonest. You are not giving them back what you bought. The next person who buys that palomino might want to overclock it (like you) thinking it's a thoroughbred. When he finds out it's a palomino, he'll blame fry's for your dishonesty. Even if nothing happens, you shouldn't do it. It's just not right.

OP
Krusty

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Wow, so many replies to a thread I started while angry about the performance of a cpu.

Well, I stopped at Frys today.:eek:

Picked myself up a magnifying glass, super glue, and a conductive pen. No cpu. I'm about to find out if a 1600+ with good stepping will be able to outperform a 2100+.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
I think the populace has pretty much spoken on this, decidedly all in the same direction.

Why you're complaining anyways is beyond my comprehension...you just got the chip for free at the AMD XP event near you. FREE. That's free as in $0.00, gratis, on-the-house, no taxes, given to you complementary, won in a contest.

If your not happy with the overclocked speed, sell it while it's still got a high value...and don't be dishonest there, either... Be upfront with a prospective buyer, and let them know it doesn't overclock high, if that's the whole reason they want it.

When I got my XP1800+ from AMD a year ago, at the 1st Boston event, I got a [sarcasm]stellar[/sarcasm] 1702MHz out of it. I watched others buy retail chips and get 1750, 1771, and over 1800MHz. But if you look at my "sig" below...it's still in my "main" rig. (I got a bit more with better RAM, and a different mobo, but that's still the same XP1800+....)

I kinda bummed me out, but you know...1700MHz for free is still 1700MHz I didn't have the day before the AMD Tour raffle.

C'mon...be grateful you were one of the lucky few who not only got in the door at the AMD event, but actually walked away with a free CPU.

My $.05 (pre tax)

Yodums

I don't think you would appreciate someone ripping you off if you were an owner of a store. Why would you do something like that when you wouldn't like that happening to you?