• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this rig be able to handle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

My best friend is getting a new rig. He doesn't know much about the specifications etc. so he send me to do the job for him and see if I can get a (budget) rig for him that can handle the games he wants to play. As Crysis is the perfect benchmark to test your rig on, he wants a rig that can handle Crysis on directx 10, highest settings and perhaps some anti-aliasing. This will all be done on a 1280x1024 LCD. Perhaps in a year or so he's planning to buy a 23" LCD with 1920x1080 but he realises and is okay with it, that he has to buy a new GPU when the time comes. For now, a GPU that gives decent fps on 1280x1024 is the primary aim. I was thinking about an i3 or an i5 rig. i5 seemed for me to be the minimum as Crysis on directx 10 is a pretty demanding game. There will be no Windows Vista involved.

Here is a rig I ensembled together that looked to me as a decent rig. He doesn't need a case or drives; he has that. The prices will be in € as we live in The Netherlands. :rolleyes:

Asus P7H55-M Pro €92.00
Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz 4MB €161.50
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 PC10666 CL9.0 XMS3 €106.00
Samsung 1TB SATA300 32MB €71.00
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB DDR5 €325.00
A Psu? As little watt as possible (price related)

This adds up to €755,50 and he does not want to go higher than 800-850.

What do you guys think? Can he drop his GPU to a 5850. That is a €100,- less which opens up for other stuff. Or is an i3 enough with a decent stock HSF overclock?

This is just speculation, so feel free to say anything.

Let me know your opinion!

Regards

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Well for starters whoever stated: "Crysis is the perfect benchmark to test your rig on" is sadly mistaken. Crysis is a poorly written/encoded game/benchmark and there is no pc on the planet that can run/play it the way it should be run/played. You can shell out all the money you want to build the best pc which includes the best possible parts and still it will run Crysis like crap.

Those parts you listed will run today's games very nicely excluding Crysis. The power supply, however, is the most important part in any system. By purchasing a low wattage/low cost unit you're just asking for trouble. You will be starving the pc and thus this will create instability along with the fact you will not be able to oc, much less run it stock speed.

Invest in a Corsair unit (450w/550w) which is the best bang for the money.

As for cooling, you will not get much of an oc with the stock cooler. If you plan on ocing, you'll need a much better cooler than stock.

Xigmatek makes some decent coolers for the price/performance which will do alot better than stock. Be sure the case these parts are going into have good airflow thru the case.

OP
B

baris_

Well for starters whoever stated: "Crysis is the perfect benchmark to test your rig on" is sadly mistaken. Crysis is a poorly written/encoded game/benchmark and there is no pc on the planet that can run/play it the way it should be run/played. You can shell out all the money you want to build the best pc which includes the best possible parts and still it will run Crysis like crap.

Those parts you listed will run today's games very nicely excluding Crysis. The power supply, however, is the most important part in any system. By purchasing a low wattage/low cost unit you're just asking for trouble. You will be starving the pc and thus this will create instability along with the fact you will not be able to oc, much less run it stock speed.

Invest in a Corsair unit (450w/550w) which is the best bang for the money.

As for cooling, you will not get much of an oc with the stock cooler. If you plan on ocing, you'll need a much better cooler than stock.

Xigmatek makes some decent coolers for the price/performance which will do alot better than stock. Be sure the case these parts are going into have good airflow thru the case.

Thank you for your input. That, apparently crazy, stuff about Crysis, was something I read. I've never even played the game or seen it in real life myself so I cannot speak of experience. I will take your word for it though. Is a HD5870 capable of running games in Directx 11 well? I know that they support Directx 11 but that doesn't mean you can get decent fps on it.

As for the power supply, how about this one: Cooler Master Real Power 520W. It's €10,- cheaper than the Corsair VX 550W which isn't modular.

We were only looking to enable Turbo Boost and then perhaps overclock a few MHz with a decent TIM. Anything above 4.0GHz would already make us happy.

PhaseZero

Thank you for your input. That, apparently crazy, stuff about Crysis, was something I read. I've never even played the game or seen it in real life myself so I cannot speak of experience. I will take your word for it though. Is a HD5870 capable of running games in Directx 11 well? I know that they support Directx 11 but that doesn't mean you can get decent fps on it.

As for the power supply, how about this one: Cooler Master Real Power 520W. It's €10,- cheaper than the Corsair VX 550W which isn't modular.

We were only looking to enable Turbo Boost and then perhaps overclock a few MHz with a decent TIM. Anything above 4.0GHz would already make us happy.

what website are you shopping from so i can see your options?

OP
B

baris_

what website are you shopping from so i can see your options?

www.4launch.nl

It is Dutch so you might have some trouble. A lot of words are similar though and of course brand names/models aren't changed.

On the left there is a dropdown sort of box. Just click on componenten and then on Voedingen/UPS.

PhaseZero

www.4launch.nl

It is Dutch so you might have some trouble. A lot of words are similar though and of course brand names/models aren't changed.

On the left there is a dropdown sort of box. Just click on componenten and then on Voedingen/UPS.

Looks like a decent power supply. Doesn't have a proven track record like the corsair units, but it should be fine for that setup. Only review i found was of the 620 watt model where they did some standard load voltage testing.

OP
B

baris_

Looks like a decent power supply. Doesn't have a proven track record like the corsair units, but it should be fine for that setup. Only review i found was of the 620 watt model where they did some standard load voltage testing.

That is the one I ordered recently. Still on the way. Alright, well yeah, then that also means there aren't any bad experiences with it.