• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would you trust this cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DTSJR

Registered
I had this blower fan left over from a Thermaltake powersupply, and I figured it could be used for something...I left on the stock heatsink, but removed the fan. It moves a good amount of air. I just havent put it in my system yet, because I dont know if I should trust it. Its not the best construction, but its on there solid, square over the heatsink.
dsc00072.jpg

dsc00073.jpg

dsc00074.jpg

dsc00075.jpg

dsc00076.jpg

dsc00077.jpg

What do you people of it? Should I try it out?

OP
D

DTSJR

Registered
The air is flowing out through the fins in the heatsink. Ill plug the fan in, but keep the card out, and I can feel the air coming off of it with a good amount of force for a fan. The air can escape. And I will take the tape off the RAM...

Radical

The blower's a good idea, but I would use it with a better heatsink. Also, you should re-arrange the tape holding the blower onto the card so it's not covering the RAM chips. You can't put RAMsinks on RAM that's covered by tape!

OP
D

DTSJR

Registered
I believe my stock fan stopped working, so I figured I could try this out, atleast until I get a new cooler...

@md0Cer

• Can the air of that blower escape out of that small heatsink?
  • You may want to make sure it is making good contact with your GPU. I tried something similar and at first it got extremely hot becuase it was not making good contact
  • You REALLY do NOT want to have that tape over your ram chips. They are hot enough as it is. That is kinda like you playing a really physically challenging sport on a 105°F 100% humidity day and then instead of taking a cold shower, or drinking some cold liquid, you wrap yourself in some warm blankets instead
  • An alternative to tape would be rubber bands. This is what I did to my 9000 Pro:
    -----bought a huge p3 slot heatsink

-----lapped the bottom. It was not very flat.

-----put thermal compound on my GPU core

-----Stuck the heatsink on the GPU with the fins running front/back of the case.
    ----------Did this so I could open the PCI slot covers and glue a fan there to run cool outside air through the heatsink.

-----Used 10-15 rubber bands around the card to hold the heatsink on. I made sure the rubber bands were not covering my ram chips.

-0cer
:cool:

OP
D

DTSJR

Registered
I just took the tape off the RAM. I was going to do that anyway so I dont damage my memory or melt the tape on to them. Its the stock heatsink, so its on the GPU good. The fan is square over the heatsink, so its getting air blown over the entire thing. And its on there good, it doesnt move or anything if you try to wiggle it. Rubber bands isnt that bad of an idea. I just wonder if I have any laying around. But I think the tape will do for now, since its holding it in place and this isnt a long term solution. You probably cant tell, but thats a 9700 Pro...

@md0Cer

Ah I see. Ok, it all sounds good then! One problem with rubber bands is that it might be hard to rubber band a slightly roundish thing like that Thermal Take blower on, but it would depend which direction they whent. Also if the rubber bands go in the AGP slot sometimes you really have to ram your card in, sometimes it does not go in enough to be stable, sometimes it pops out, and rubber bands get weak after a while.

OP
D

DTSJR

Registered
3 1/2 PCI slots...But Ive only got 2 PCI cards, the rest are ports that plug into the mobo...