• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WoW classic, gpu usage 100% 500 fps / now its 15% load but 70-100 fps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

synthesize

Registered
not sure but on wow classic, first day I played I was at 400-500+ FPS with max settings but 100% gpu load when playing..

now i'm on a new monitor, possibly new windows update and now my gpu usage is around 15%-20% with same settings but fps stays around 120, lowest at 70.

just turned on vsync and still the same. not sure if this is good? keeping my gpu from full load and wear and tear on it by running the game smooth with lowest load or if I should be using more load on my gpu to get 150+ minimum full time for my 144 hz monitor?

my cam software shows below 30 fps / avg fps and didn't notice it until yesterday that my fps has dipped a lot, then took a look at my gpu usage and saw it went down by A LOTTT..

i also had xmp issues getting my 32gb ram to 3600mhz but ended up using dram frequency to get it set with proper timing..

im on an rtx 3070 aorus / ryzen 5 5600x / 32gb vengeance rgb pro 3600mhz ram / msi b550 mpg carbon fiber wifi mobo...

s/s of cam https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/744115137899790378/815152345910214676/unknown.png

temps of my gpu in game are 42c....it's not even pushing the gpu at all?

Last edited:
I did a bios update + windows fresh install. my load is up to 30-50% with a constant 144frames in wow with vsync on. better than the 70-90 fps I was getting, I think i got a 100% load on gpu before changing dram freq to 3600mhz, gonna go change it back and see if it goes to a 100% load....

guess it makes sense that something like wow classic should only need to push to 40-50% of gpu for rtx 3070 to get 144 fps?

gonna do 3dmark again and it should put it on 100% load. i did a test yesterday but dont remember checking load but got basically same score both times

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/58624983?

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/58873948?

and did this one, best score yet, but gpu said 0-1% on cam? wtf lol

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/58923428?

mayb cam is messing up my gpu readings? but my fps did get better after reinstall... i gotta find another way to check gpu loads

ok so it is cam, i used auros to check my usage during 3dbenchmark and it went to 100% but on cam it said 0%-1%, gonna load wow and i bet it shows up proper on cam as my gpu software

so wow gpu usage on cam shows up properly, just not 3dmark? odd...

Last edited:
guess it makes sense that something like wow classic should only need to push to 40-50% of gpu for rtx 3070 to get 144 fps?
It makes perfect sense you aren't using 100% of the gpu...you've got vsync on limiting frames.

Cam software or any 2 monitoring softwares can screw each other up.

Last edited:
- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

It makes perfect sense you aren't using 100% of the gpu...you've got vsync on limiting frames.

Cam software or any 2 monitoring softwares can screw each other up.

well ttoday first time i try 2nd software until today, using aorus gpu software so it had to be correct. but 3d mark wasnt working with cam but was on wow...which is odd?

first day i built my pc, cam showed 100% load with 500 frames, i didnt try vsync until last night but 3 nights ago i got 220 fps , then next day 70-100 and turn on vsync and same thing

then today bios update/reinstall windows and now my fps is running good, 200 fps before vsync...idk what was wrong before re-install. but i asked people in LFG chat on wow classic to msg me if they are on rtx 3070 and the ppl i spoke with said they're using 40-50% loads with 200 fps no vsync.

so idk how i was making my gpu go to full 100% load but i was getting 500 fps, but with 25-35% load i can hit 200.

so i guess im fine? i ran cinebench and 3dmark, and all looked good.

did hcl memtest pro 8 hours on xmp with 28 errors / xmp off - auto dram freq zero errors / tonight i will do it with dram freq 3600mhz. my buddy was taking about flck and some other things about ram to make sure its correct but need to find out if xmp just wont work with my mobo/ram no matter what or if its faulty...this mobo just released like in october? so maybe it has fail prevent in bios to not let you boot without going into ram slot 2 at least...

i'll try 1/2 later on tonight. what do you think? is dram freq works but no xmp? any test i should try? ram or mobo bad? mobo ram 1 slot faulty? i did smell some hot electrical smell 2nd day of build(feels like when i did xmp but not sure) for like 1 minute but thought nothing off it. seems cpu/gpu is fine though thank god..

do you have discord? you seem to know your stuff and can be of help

I think you should leave the ram alone amd stop playing games with it. Install all four sticks enabke xmp amd adjust SPC voltage if needed.

I dont have discord/not doing live chat support. Sorry.

I think you should leave the ram alone amd stop playing games with it. Install all four sticks enabke xmp amd adjust SPC voltage if needed.

I dont have discord/not doing live chat support. Sorry.

i can't control the voltage i dont think? i would need help with it.

turned off vsync and my gpu load back to well 65-85% with 500+ fps and when first turning vsync off went to 96% load and sat at 700 fps, which i never seen go past 550. so something is def helping. im guessing the dram freq is working
should i keep vsync on to keep gpu load down?

Yes, you can. In the bios.. SOC voltage. Add 0.1V over stock (look and see what the stock value is in the bios).

Enabling vsync or not is your choice, really. Do you know what it is? Are you getting screen tearing with it disabled? If you're happy locking it, leave it at 144. ;)

This thread looks solved and now you're back on the ram issue. ;)

Last edited:
ok i'll have to look into that voltage thing and need someone to babysit me so i don't mess up. i decided vsync off. and put cap of 200 fps instead, so it puts less stress on my gpu. looks like somehow reinstalling windows fixed my problem.

cause i did have 15% load with 70-90 fps and couldn't get it to go higher for some reason when 3 days before i was able to hit max loads and 500+ fps. now i hit max loads and getting 700 fps so something has improved? ty for the replies.

Yes, you can. In the bios.. SOC voltage. Add 0.1V over stock (look and see what the stock value is in the bios).

Enabling vsync or not is your choice, really. Do you know what it is? Are you getting screen tearing with it disabled? If you're happy locking it, leave it at 144. ;)

This thread looks solved and now you're back on the ram issue. ;)

actually i know the problem, my gpu isn't down clocking or up clocking when it's supposed to do so...it was upclocked today when gaming, hence while it was running so good, then i check cam freq and it was at like 1845. i reinstall drivers, fresh install and then it was downclocked to 1200 or something like that, even lower...on top of my gpu being 51c idle, not gaming???

get on wow to see and ofc my fps is 45.....i got to figure out how to downclock and updclock when gaming or not gaming. right now i've turned it off from manual to auto scan and it looks like it's currently testing the over clocking on the gpu, it's stock freq is 1845 and right now its 1860 at 41% through.

idk what's up, a regular person would be playing the games and not noticing if he's playing wow. what is wrong with my gpu to not run the proper clocks? when reinstalling windows it had the stock freq which is why I was running so good.

soo i turned it from manual clock to auto(basically oc itself if needed) and got it to 2085+ mhz during the test....now i put on wow and the fps is acting right again, even though its not at 700 fps like it was earlier (um wtf?) but it was hitting 300+. i put it on custom capped 200 fps and went from 100% load at default frequency to and 40% gpu load at 47c which was colder than earlier when i first posted this at 51c idle.

now im at the desktop and the current clock is 270h-300 hz but keeps bouncing to 1845 every 3 seconds?... def something going on in the background added recently to make my gpu not downclock until i did this but it is making it jump from 300 to 1845 constantly even though rpm is staying at 0? odd it only does it when i'm posting here though? when it's clocked at 300, the gpu load jumps up to 1% to 20%, is that bad? should the clock be higher so my gpu load isn't going up much when idling?

3dmark wont even go in full screen now, even after uninstalling/intalling gpu drivers

Last edited:
Dude... stop messing with things, lol...

It is 100% normal for a video card to downclock while idle. I have no idea why you're reinstalling drivers in the first place. This worked last I left you last night... see the first line....

Edit: you're literally making assumptions things are wrong and making changes based on those false assumptions. ;)

Last edited:
Dude... stop messing with things, lol...

It is 100% normal for a video card to downclock while idle. I have no idea why you're reinstalling drivers in the first place. This worked last I left you last night... see the first line....

Edit: you're literally making assumptions things are wrong and making changes based on those false assumptions. ;)

yeah but it wasn't clocking up again when getting on wow classic, i was getting 40 fps? i had to go from manual to custom on aorua engine and make it set the settings to overclock on its own if temps are fine and got back on wow and the game was running at 300 fps but some how when first installing on fresh windows install, got 700 fps...? i did a fresh install again and now im at 700 fps. i dont want to download msi dragon, i feel thats doing something maybe? not sure but i had it downloaded and running when i was getting 700 fps. i guess capping my fps on wow to 200 , the gpu gets used to the settings and remembers to downclock it some? i dont know how this stuff works. maybe i wont mess with the settings on capping fps.

i just couldn't make it upclock yesterday when getting on wow, gettnig 40 fps lol and i think i must of clicked something in msi dragon to cause my fans to go up and down from idle to max rpm every 15-30sec which was insane annoying and loud...hearing 13 fans do that just is too much noise.

also my gpu fans dont spin until hits certain temps
i can have it idle at 49c with no spinning, or i can turn off passive fans and fans speed at half rpm and cools it to 35c.....think the fans being on for cooler temps are better for gpu or hurt the fans bein on 24/7 and just let it idle at 49c? i assume fans being on helps my case stay cooler? or maybe not that much since i do have 10 fans

Last edited:
As I've said already, you're limiting the fps so gpu use won't be 100%.

Gpu fans on idle until a certain temp is also normal...read the manual for the card. Leave the fan setting alone is my take.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

yeah but it wasn't clocking up again when getting on wow classic, i was getting 40 fps? i had to go from manual to custom on aorua engine and make it set the settings to overclock on its own if temps are fine and got back on wow and the game was running at 300 fps but some how when first installing on fresh windows install, got 700 fps...? i did a fresh install again and now im at 700 fps. i dont want to download msi dragon, i feel thats doing something maybe? not sure but i had it downloaded and running when i was getting 700 fps. i guess capping my fps on wow to 200 , the gpu gets used to the settings and remembers to downclock it some? i dont know how this stuff works. maybe i wont mess with the settings on capping fps.

i just couldn't make it upclock yesterday when getting on wow, gettnig 40 fps lol and i think i must of clicked something in msi dragon to cause my fans to go up and down from idle to max rpm every 15-30sec which was insane annoying and loud...hearing 13 fans do that just is too much noise.

also my gpu fans dont spin until hits certain temps
i can have it idle at 49c with no spinning, or i can turn off passive fans and fans speed at half rpm and cools it to 35c.....think the fans being on for cooler temps are better for gpu or hurt the fans bein on 24/7 and just let it idle at 49c? i assume fans being on helps my case stay cooler? or maybe not that much since i do have 10 fans

i got 144hz monitor, i only limited the fps to 200. after my 2nd fresh install. first install ever got 600+ fps, then went to 300 then 90-120 then 40 fps. i did another fresh install and hitting 700 fps. and havent touch fps cap to 200, even tho i dont need 700 fps. i think it was msi dragon. i turned off nzxt cams gpu oc control even tho inever touched it, i was reading two different gpu control softwares running at the same time can cause big issues. so i have that cams turned off.

i wish i could get mystic light for my msi mobo but not have to dl msi dragon, that was ramping my fans up from accidently touching gaming mode on it i think, after turning it back on silent after i forgot i put it on gaming, it didnt start making max rpm every 15-20 second and making my ears bleed. todays fresh install has been great.

Good! Now leave it alone. :)

yeah, im afraid to cap my fps at 200 on wow, idk if that was causing my gpu to not clock up or not....if its better to let it run at 600-700 fps and keep load at 99% or try capping and lower loads to 35-40% and hope if i uncap it goes back up to 600 fps....i guess if i try, i will just do 1 more fresh install and learn from my mistakes. lmao ><

on auto, my clock is staying at 1845 and not goin down to 300mhz, so not sure what was happening last night, something must of glitched, 300mhz prob stayed when turning on wow even though it showed it at 1845 hence me getting 45 fps....

oh and i haven;t installed my windows updates. so maybe ill game more tomorrow, so its not just day 1 luck...next day windows update, plays 2 days see if all stays the sme, then install msi dragon if i cant get mystic aura solo, play 2 days in a row and if that causes issues then ill know it's that.

assuming maybe it was cam with its gpu controls was maybe causing issue and msi dragon was causing my fans to ramp up every 15-30s to max ramps which was driving me crazyyyyyy. i dont know but i'm learning a lot. at least trying to be logical to my approach.

ram seems to be working good, compared to reading other threads on ram and people couldn't even get their ram to change by adjusting their timing without xmp, like i did mine....even though you're probably right since im running 4 sticks, if i changed my voltage for xmp it might work...but i guess without xmp the voltage adjusted on it's own, just like the timings did, all i did was dram frequency to 3600hz and timings auto changed.

btw thanks for the help. you've been the only one who actually replies to my craziness lol ;P, but i do know when something is acting weird....it isnt like nothing is changed and im acting wild. it's just stuff i've done on an accident. clicking profiles on seperate softwares. i did like msi dragons screen changing like from natural / gaming / theatre / eye care. and that had me trying other stuff on it ;o

Good! Now leave it alone. :)

everything lokoing good, capped and uncapped fps, gpu up and down clocking properly. scared to download msi dragon ill wait until wednesday to try it and let u know. but hope pc runs like this everyday. no fans going to max rpm every 15-30 sec and sounding like a drone going off in my room. no way i could talk on discord with those 13 fans goin max rpm lol.

Back