• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW!! I just lowered my idle CPU temp by 18 degrees!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
I can’t believe it! My 750 Athlon temps have always been high since I made this thing a few years ago and I never could get them down very much. So today I did something about it. I took the stock hsf that I just got with my new 1800+, pulled that crappy pad thing off and lapped it. Then I applied some AS3 to my chip and boom!! An 18-degree drop on my idle temp!! :eek: I’m not sure what caused the drop, but I think it was the AS3, cuz the new hs is almost the same size as my other one, and it looks the same too. It might also be that the hs was lapped. I can’t wait ‘till I get my water cooling hooked up on my other pc. hehe
:D :D :D

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
cyber mouse45 said:
I can’t believe it! My 750 Athlon temps have always been high since I made this thing a few years ago and I never could get them down very much. So today I did something about it. I took the stock hsf that I just got with my new 1800+, pulled that crappy pad thing off and lapped it. Then I applied some AS3 to my chip and boom!! An 18-degree drop on my idle temp!! :eek: I’m not sure what caused the drop, but I think it was the AS3, cuz the new hs is almost the same size as my other one, and it looks the same too. It might also be that the hs was lapped. I can’t wait ‘till I get my water cooling hooked up on my other pc. hehe
:D :D :D

:eek: i think that is the biggest drop i have ever seen. Great job. I think you just inspired me to do some lapping this weekend.

mx-6*

Dude, was there any thermal compound on the old heatsink? Because stock heatsinks suck and I bet that the new one has a better fan as well.

ButcherUK

Nice going, is that 18F or C?
I think the biggest drop I've seen was when I went air to water... slashed nearly 30C off my temps :D

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
mx-6* said:
Dude, was there any thermal compound on the old heatsink? Because stock heatsinks suck and I bet that the new one has a better fan as well.

No, it just had one of those little pink pads on there that had the crap smashed out of it. (I hate those things!) Do they do anything at all??

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
ButcherUK said:
Nice going, is that 18F or C?
I think the biggest drop I've seen was when I went air to water... slashed nearly 30C off my temps :D

18°F. It always used to idle at 116°F to 118°F depending on the temp of my room. Now it idles at 98°F to 100°F (38°C??) And in the summer time after playing Diablo II for about three hours it would be about 132°F (yikes!) :eek:

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
It’s amazing what a little lapping and some AS will do to a hs. :)

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
cyber mouse45 said:

No, it just had one of those little pink pads on there that had the crap smashed out of it. (I hate those things!) Do they do anything at all??

They do provide a thermal interface, albeit they do a poor job of it, but it's definately better than nothing. They're also the only type of thermal interface that AMD will warranty, for some reason.

*edit* Well, seems like they change their minds in the last 2 months. Before they were stating that the thermal pad was the only interface they reccomended.
Now they say:
For optimum heat transfer, AMD recommends the use of a high performance thermal interface material. Those materials listed on this page fall into the high performance category.

I geuss they finally got around to testing some other types of thremal compounds.

Last edited:
OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
CrystalMethod said:

I geuss they finally got around to testing some other types of thremal compounds.

Well it's about time they did that. :)