• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WoW lag .. lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metallica

I'm currently running an older system .. and yeahhh, I play wow ;d

Specs - [email protected] 3.4Ghz with HT / 1gb DDR2 / ATI 4850

I'm having horrible lag in 25 man raids .. I'm pretty sure I need more RAM .. but I'm wondering also if I should just grab a new CPU/mobo? I'm sure an athlon 2 X2 + 4 GB ram would be fine .. but if I just throw in 2Gb more, is that CPU bottle necking the system at all? for WoW?

YoMatta

I would definitely recomend no less than 2gb's, especially if you've got other things open like a bunch of FF windows, vent, AIM, etc. I'm rocking 2g's and it still doesn't feel like enough sometimes when I'm doing things in WoW.

That said, when you said you're lagging, I'm assuming you're talking about actual game load lag and not latency issues? Latency issues would be more related to your ISP connection and not just your computer hardware.

Dropping $6-700 on a new PC build (especially if you're just playing WoW) is going to be a religous experience compared to what you're rocking right now :)

Cheers!

psionic98

I agree with yomatta.. latency obviously we aren't going to be able to help with other than possibly some registry tweaks that may or may not do a thing for ya. Overall though, spending the cash, if you have it, on a new system thats even on the low-mid range will yield a significant difference for wow. I think wow is processor heavy as well..and a p4 with multiple apps will surely start to bog down

I play it from time to time since I have a free account and on my current athlon x2 3800+ rig.. its pathetic on even a 10man :p

Quigsby

I played on a 25man ulduar on rig 2 in my sig on Tuesday and it handled it fine. A P4 is a little aged and I would think a newer Athlon II X2 on a newer board with 4GB of RAM would be just fine for WoW. The 4850 is perfect for WoW.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
WoW is extremely CPU intensive, especially in 25 man raids. Even my QX9650 running at 4.0ghz bottlenecks the game.

OP
Metallica

Metallica

I just went from an I7 system, so I'm just not used to the 6 FPS while raiding ;d

I'd be happy with 20ish while raiding, when I have 20ish in 10 mans, its perfectly fine for me.

I'm just really hoping not to have to drop 200$ for a new cpu/mobo/ram combo ..

I'm gonna pick up a 2GB kit at work today, and see how that fairs. that would put me at 3gb total, which is what my I7 system had, and it ran fine, so i'd assume 3GB would help. and latency isn't a problem, I get around 140ish ms. Can low RAM cause a loss in FPS? having only 1 gb?

YoMatta

for sure more memory will help you out. is it as good as more memory + a faster CPU?, not at all. But if that's in the budget you'll definitely see some improved performance, just not sure how much exactly. I haven't run WoW on a system such as yours since it first came out in 2004.

also, if you're a heavy raider and have a lot of addons rocking on your UI the increased memory will help you there as well.

OP
Metallica

Metallica

for sure more memory will help you out. is it as good as more memory + a faster CPU?, not at all. But if that's in the budget you'll definitely see some improved performance, just not sure how much exactly. I haven't run WoW on a system such as yours since it first came out in 2004.

also, if you're a heavy raider and have a lot of addons rocking on your UI the increased memory will help you there as well.

I only play with a few addons, non that change my UI haha. Just meter stuff, and a few class specific mods .. i hope this works, working on new content atm, and i can't really help running at 6fps ;d

Daleon

If you get a Fry's nearby I'd go for one of their e5200 or X2 combos for sure. OC hell out of them, 2gb of cheap ramp, and you should be happy.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I'm guessing you mean lag as in slow framerate and some stuttering video?

Minimum 2GB for sure. P4 is an old CPU. A decent video card would help a bit but not much as AGP hasn't been supported for a while and some of the good AGP cards costs more than a cheap AM2+ CPU/mobo/RAM/PCI-e video card.

Short term solution: more RAM. Lowering video setting to minimum (spell effects, weather, ground objects, shadow off, etc) would help.

Long term solution: retire the whole P4 rig and build (or buy) a new PC with more recent CPU. AMD CPU are cheap and should suit you even if you're on a small budget.

YoMatta

If you get a Fry's nearby I'd go for one of their e5200 or X2 combos for sure. OC hell out of them, 2gb of cheap ramp, and you should be happy.

for comparison, i have an E6600 (stock), 2gigs of RAM, 8800GTS, running Win7 Ultimate.

I can run WoW just fine, and really only feel some strain when I have a lot of FF windows open (which is frequent) along with maybe Skype, an AIM convo, and Netflix streaming some vids to my dual monitor. Perhaps even iTunes going as well. In-game video settings are more or less averaged out to be moderate or so. I don't have everything turned up, if I did I would likely feel a bit more strain.

joedymueller

wow takes about 700-1gig its self to run. so more ram for sure.

also in video settings turn your Shadows, down all the way. its night and day with the shadow settings.