• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow re-routing cables made a huge diffrence

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishDog3

I have to highly recomend that all of you take two hours, open up your case, get a bunch of twisty ties, and re-rout all of your cables around the outside of the case.

Take a molex lead and run it out to the side by the 5" bays, than down the side, and around the bottom. Each molex plug sticks up along the edge giving you an easy "power strip" of molex connectors for your fans. I have my rounded IDE cables running down behind the 3" bays, than straped to the bottom of it to run in a straight line to the IDE ports on the mobo. Than the flopy cable I bent in 1/4ths and tied up like that, than ran it along the side of the bay, down, and than along with the rounded IDE cables. The only cable not routed like this is the mobo power.

The seccond thing I did was to use a cardboard pice to seperate the cpu heat sink fan into 2 areas. The fan and the air it draws in, and the bottom area is the exaust air from the HSF, and the exaust fan entrence to the power supply & exaust 80mm in back of case. I have wanted to try this for a while to see if it would help temps by keeping any hot air from being recycled into the cpu HSF, keeping the exaust fans from fighting the cpu fan for its clean air, and having the exaust fans only pulling out the hot air off the cpu.

So far it has droped my full load temps to 48c, pretty nice :) and I can run my loud cpu fan at around 3000rpm where it is no louder than the powersupply, and at full load it only goes up to 51c.

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
I've done this once and it lowers it about 2 degrees.

I have yet to add the loom though.

Also if you re-apply the heatsink, it will lower temps overall.

wannaoc

Don't loose loom!! Loom has to be the worst thing I've seen in a computer, use braided sleeving and heat shrink tubing. Not only does it look much, much better but it will help with air flow better than loom.
Also instead of doing all this wire folding and twist ties just splice the wires to the distance you need and even remove the wires you don't need. I used molex plugs on the 12v, the AUX plug, and my third power wire. That way I could re attach them if I need them such as switching to a motherboard that uses the 12v.
And when it comes to rounded cables they are not always the best for air flow, in some instances a flat cable pushed against the wall of the case completely takes the cable out of the airway.
Heres a pic of these in use...
inside.jpg

It may be slow.

Last edited:

attitudx

Xtreme refugee
I took the time before reading this and rerouted all my wires extra from power supply tied up and tucked away, nothing blocking fans and have noticed a 3 degree drop in temp now i just need to find a small kicking fan and mount to my northbride and i will be cool. It helps with cooling and besides it looks neater

OP
FishDog3

FishDog3

RadRacer said:
No offense, but that sounds like it would look hideous. Sometimes that 1 extra degree just isnt worth it.

Actually it looks much cleaner/orginized. It basicly looks like there are no cables in the box, they are all pretty much hidden from view. Unfortunely I don't have a digi cam or I would post some pics :( but it was definely worth the hour or two that I put into it.

Another benifit is that I can turn my HSF down pretty low and run FAH at like 49-50C, so you can sleep in the same room as the PC. It seems that doing this made it so that I got 3-4C drop in lowest temps, but it really improved the full load with minimal fan rpms temps. If I ran my fan this low and ran FAH before it would easily get up over 56C.

topoor

Registered
The rounded cables made a large difference in my comp temps.. also easier to manage fan cables now.

WuChild

I have personally seen 5 or more systems have actual problems running programs and games because of someone's lazy work putting it together.

One case had a total rat's nest up behind the CD rom and in front of the power supply, and was causing the PS to reboot the computer from overheating.

JohnnyTheRed

Hmm I cleaned out my case the other day - somewhat of a spring cleaning thing. Didn't get a chance to apply AS3, and I only use the stock HSF. But @ full load my temps are now 47 C for the CPU and 30 C for the case/mobo. They used to be 55 C for the CPU and 33 C for the case/mobo. So I must've done something right it seems.

Looks alot neater too.

wannaoc

If you mean the black thing in the right bottom corner, then thats my hard drive rack. The hard drives sit upright so air can go through and cool them right from the intake fans in the front. Unfortunately it makes using watercooling in this case rather tight.

My next project for it to clean up wires is to shorten the mobo power wire up so it's not all over the place. I'm waiting for my NF7-S in order to that though.

I updated the pic to show it a little better.

Last edited: