• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow the most expensive CPU of our time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shortyes

You know a lot of people have been saying this and that about intel and I have to admit I am one of them. Most of my systems are AMD and the only reason for it is the price. I'm a poor college student and can't spend the 200 to 400 for a CPU. Then again I spend that same amount on a Video Card, LOL.

Recently there have been so many rumors about AMD64 cpus FX and what not and intel's EE. Both have their strong and weak point.

I was recently surfing Neweggs for parts I might buy when I get a job next semester :p

When I came across the price of the Intel 3.2 EE

I for one am thinking back 7 years when new cpus were like 800 dollars. This has got to be the most expensive Desktop CPU for the average job or even the Overclockers of this year and maybe next.

Wish I could try it out but I saw the **This item is NOT REFUNDABLE, exchange for same exact item only!!**

I would pay 15% restocking to have this baby for a month :D

boffin2163

Do you think its non refundable so when people find out how much theyve been riped off they cant send it back lol

edit: just worked out you could buy a new AMD proc with just the restocking fee of that thing :eek:

MetalStorm

The EE is just like a beefed up P4, which can't be a bad thing - in comparison to the FX 51, they both win and lose different benchies, but they seem about the same in terms of performance - though I would chose the FX 51 because I play a lot of games, and that is where the FX 51 is the daddy it seems...

What I have just said is not an invite to a FX vs EE debate btw.

OP
S

shortyes

But still to be able to say I have the 3.2 EE in my machine will raise some eye brows ^^

Dang it I still can't shake the feeling about the cchip. I have not seen something that expensive in a VERY long itme

JaY_III

Senior of BX
The EE is a XEON in socket 478 Motherboard.
FUD of AMD-64 is the only reason we saw this CPU.
It was never ment to be, never on an Intel RoadMap, and just sort of showed up one day....

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I paid $950 for one of the first Athlons - a slot A 600. People easily forget how expensive computer parts were just 5-6 years ago. I have a friend that paid $12,000 for a tricked out 386 system for CAD work back around 1990.

MetalStorm

But you can always think that if you hold on to your money for another year or so then you can get something that much better, which is true, however, when the time comes you will just be thinking "in a year, things will be so much faster again!" its just a viscous circle really, however, if you like overclocking, its a fun viscous circle at that!

JDXNC

I remeber paying $150 for a 56k modem! Not to mention nearly $300 for a 2x CDRW drive :p

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I have owned 5 cars and 3 motorcycles that cost less than that.

Add 3 of the cars and 2 of the bikes together and it is STILL less than that. :D

But I remember back in the day when I had $450 dollars sunk into memory for my computer- eight 1 meg sticks.......

As things are now there are no desktop COMPUTERS that I would pay that much for, but it would be very cool to have one nonetheless.
Rats- should asked Santa for one! ;)

OP
S

shortyes

The most I ever spent was 4k for an IBM 386SX

16Mhz
4MB Ram
50MB HDD

It was the bomb until my neighbor got a new computer the 486 with the funky TURBO button on it Running at the amazing speed of 30Mhz

SunRedRX7

Since were all remebering how much we all paid for old stuff, I remember paying $180 for 4megs of RAM for my TANDY 486SX. This was back when I was a young lad, so that was a lotta money. It was worth it though after seeing how much it improved DoomII,

JaY_III

Senior of BX
shortyes said:
It was the bomb until my neighbor got a new computer the 486 with the funky TURBO button on it Running at the amazing speed of 30Mhz

Turbo makes computers run slower.
Dropped them down to 8MHz for 8086/8088 (XT) compatibility...
oh, and the 386 had a turbo too!

OP
S

shortyes

LOL, the ram in my computer was propritary from IBM.

I had to buy the ram for 150 for 2 MB just so I could run Windows 3.1

Fronic

This might sound weird, but I'd rather have the good stuff of yesterday then today. Makes me feel like I'm getting a better deal.

XWRed1

I used to play Doom with Turbo turned on, just so a few days later I could turn it off and Doom would feel so much faster.

SuperDave1685

WOW. over $1000 for a CPU?? Thats like crazy! Man I could build a new system thats kicks *** for less than that and still have $$ left over....... but ya gotta admit- that 3MB L3 cache must be nice to have ;)