• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow the most expensive CPU of our time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jAY said:
The EE is a XEON in socket 478 Motherboard.
FUD of AMD-64 is the only reason we saw this CPU.
It was never ment to be, never on an Intel RoadMap, and just sort of showed up one day....

Yup, Had to have something till the release of the Prescott's.

Intel isn't really interested in selling this chip, thats why the price is as such.

well all this just goes to show that technology changes so rapidly that it is not worth the money to buy the latest and greatest b/c somthing new is coming out in less then a month, even tho it would be really nice to have a 3.2ee but then why need soo much power when most games dont need, price:performance ratio is kinda weird here lol

How about when Intel announced the first issue of chips that ran a 1GHZ. Ton's of people in the media said that processors for home computers that ran that fast were un-necessary and a waste of money:p

And then Intel released the garbage 1.13 or 1.3 or soemthing like that in a panic and did a major recall shortly after.

Is my history correct?

man, the computer my sister is on right now to my left has a turbo button. its not that much clower than this one.

yeah, my computer teacher (Vocational class) keeps telling me how much the PIVEE would kick the *** of any athlon, i just keep telling him to keep wishing. he doesnt understand that a 400% increase in price isnt worth a 4% increase ins speed. ESPECIALLY when in the time it takes you to come up with 4% of the money you waste on it would make it obsolete!

Especially when that price difference could be spent on better components, like a second monitor. ;) Games on one screen, homework on the other, how about that.

Anyways, yeah it's a lot of money, big deal, who cares, this is nothing new, and $1,000 processor being labeled as "the most expensive processor of our time" is just foolish, unless you're 6 years old, of course. ;)

tom10167 said:
Especially when that price difference could be spent on better components, like a second monitor. ;) Games on one screen, homework on the other, how about that.

Anyways, yeah it's a lot of money, big deal, who cares, this is nothing new, and $1,000 processor being labeled as "the most expensive processor of our time" is just foolish, unless you're 6 years old, of course. ;)

I meant the most expensive CPU of this year and in recent years. There has not been a CPU over 1000 in many years :attn:

Re: AMD processors ...

shortyes said:
You know a lot of people have been saying this and that about intel and I have to admit I am one of them. Most of my systems are AMD and the only reason for it is the price. I'm a poor college student and can't spend the 200 to 400 for a CPU. Then again I spend that same amount on a Video Card, LOL.
>>>>

What's wrong with that?
I did the same thing. Spent the money I saved
on the CPU to buy a better Video card.

$42 1700 Tbred B (1.5v) = > 3200 speeds. (2.4Ghz)

Im super old school, I started on a green monotone monitor that weighed like 60 pounds, and came with a "now yellow dust cover" . Then I got an apple II gs with a color monitor, and used to use "dazzle draw" to make the ugliest pictures and print them out on my banner printer that could print a whole 6 pages before the ink ran out, and made this annoying *eeeeeeee-urrrrrrgggggh" sound as it printed, oh and dont forget to mention the 5.25 floppies, that if you forgot to "lock" them into the shoe-box sized external disk reader, it would make a obnoxious ERRRRRRGGH noise over and over. Yah those were the days, when Oregon trail came on 20 - 5.25 floppies. Then I upgraded to the Packard Bell 33mhz computer (with turbo button) with a 4 GB hard drive ( i think it was 4), that I bought from "now outta business---> SILO" , and I got the coooolest game, called 7th guest free with it. along with commander keen..... oh and yes I remember doom, that game rocked in its time.... especially when I got the skin and sound mod for it so when I got hit it would say "m***** F*****" and the walls were covered with nude ladies....and the music was a cheesy re-creation of stairway to heaven.

wow how times have changed.....you just gotta love the advancements weve seen in the last 10 years.... :)

Exempt said:
... oh and dont forget to mention the 5.25 floppies, that if you forgot to "lock" them into the shoe-box sized external disk reader, it would make a obnoxious ERRRRRRGGH noise over and over.

I still have an unopened box of them dumb things sitting in a desk drawer. Don't have a drive to use it with but at least I got the disks, and they really were floppy :D . They might be worth something one day!

Exempt said:
Im super old school, I started on a green monotone monitor that weighed like 60 pounds, and came with a "now yellow dust cover" . Then I got an apple II gs with a color monitor, and used to use "dazzle draw" to make the ugliest pictures and print them out on my banner printer that could print a whole 6 pages before the ink ran out, and made this annoying *eeeeeeee-urrrrrrgggggh" sound as it printed, oh and dont forget to mention the 5.25 floppies, that if you forgot to "lock" them into the shoe-box sized external disk reader, it would make a obnoxious ERRRRRRGGH noise over and over. Yah those were the days, when Oregon trail came on 20 - 5.25 floppies. Then I upgraded to the Packard Bell 33mhz computer (with turbo button) with a 4 GB hard drive ( i think it was 4), that I bought from "now outta business---> SILO" , and I got the coooolest game, called 7th guest free with it. along with commander keen..... oh and yes I remember doom, that game rocked in its time.... especially when I got the skin and sound mod for it so when I got hit it would say "m***** F*****" and the walls were covered with nude ladies....and the music was a cheesy re-creation of stairway to heaven.

wow how times have changed.....you just gotta love the advancements weve seen in the last 10 years.... :)

Oh man you brought back SO many damn memories. My mom had a BLAST playing it 7th Guest, and I was down with all of the Commander Keen games. Lode Runner, King's Quest VI, hell yeah man. :beer:

9mmCensor said:

yup in the glory days of athlons... only a few days ahead tho.

a few days? sure Intel paper launched the 1ghz PIII, but it was weeks after that before you could buy one on the retail market.

the first computer we had in the house (dont remember the name) didnt even come i a case. it was all one board and the keyboard was built into it. dad didnt have it long and traded to towards a Challenger4P, it had the ol green monochrome screen.

then came VIC 20's, the C64's, a 386, a 486, then the Pentium 100.

what was really funny, was when we got the Pentium 200, we thought we really had something.

Back