• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow, what a difference a psu makes...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bruin

Registered
When I ran the prime 95 torture test with my old psu (stock 300w amd approved psu that came with case), i wouldn't even last 3 seconds without it reporting an error. I tried SEVERAL times, and never could even complete the first test successfully. Keep in mind, my system is not overclocked whatsoever.

I bought a new antec case with an antec 350w psu (the only change I made to my system). I ran the torture test for 3-4 hours without it reporting an error before I quit the program.

This was just an informal message to all those newbies out there (such as myself) to prove the importance of a good psu.

mx-6*

I wrote an article on this a long time ago.

But people don't get it until they need to. :D

A good PSU is probably the most important component for anyone who wants to overclock. I use an Antec too, the 400W model. But what people don't get is that a "300W PSU" isn't really a 300W PSU. Many of those are 300W max.

My Antec is a real 400W PSU. Which means that its 600W or so max.

There are many 250W PSU's that are better than generic PSU's.

takiwa

Hoot wrote a VERY good sticky about this exact thing at the top of this topic: How good is your particular PSU? it is a good read on the subject....

OP
B

Bruin

Registered
Just read the sticky articles "how good is your current psu" and a few others....
According to specs, my psu was decent. the 5v and 3.3v combined put out 160w, and my 5v never went below 5.08.

Problem was, my volts varied by the second. My 5v was betwee 5.08 and 5.2 at any given moment, my -12v was -11.5-11.8, etc etc.

My moral to the story is, a good psu is important even on a non-overclocked system. My system was not overclocked at all, yet i had soooooooooooooooo many probs, i just got ****ed off one day and kicked it and bent in my side panel (not recommended), therefore had to buy a new case.