• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF Happened here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madrig

Registered
UPDATE--> WTF Happened here?

My comp had a problem with the mobo and i replaced it a week ago(wouldn't boot). It fired up but couldn't detect my HDD until i took it out for a night. The next morning, I reinstalled the drive and the computer booted fine.... but 2 days later i couldnt get any video. My computer has vertival lines at regular intervals across the screen (even in the bios there are vertical rows of dots). The computer won't boot into windows unless i enter safe mode, uninstall my video card, and reboot and then it works happily at 640x480 16bit (still with lines). I haven't overclocked it (much) because my athlon is still locked so i dont think i burnt it up... Anyone have any idea as to what this problem could be?

its not the monitor, i checked it already
i've also done the obvious: latest drivers, bios update..

HELP!!!!

(sorry for the long post)
XP 2200+
512 corsair
A7V333
GF4 4600

Last edited:

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
ok, keep everything at stock speed when you are having problems...even the ram timings..stock voltage and all.
maybe you just dont have it seated correctly...you have to make sure you mash the cards in...even if the clip on the agp slot is clicked down...it might not be in all the way.

OP
M

madrig

Registered
its all at stock speeds i havent had a chance to get into o/c-ing
while my cpu still has a Volcano 6cu+

everything is seated properly... if i remove the video card overnight and plug it back in, the lines will go away until i run the computer fot a while and then windows errors and they reappear.

maybe ill just send back (rma?) the *$&! card!

OP
M

madrig

Registered
how would i be able to check the ps? the thing has 2 fans in it already.... the comp has always been surge protected.

?...?....?....

help

LittlePiggie

how old is the ps? use a voltometer on all the lines at various tmes and see if there is a major flux. jt sum help...

TheFrag

have u tried reinstalling or using different drivers. If it runs on 16bit color at 640x400....you are proly using onboard drivers. Also, what kind of card is that? You should also return it to default or maybe even underclock it. If you still can, RMA the thing as a last resort.

:edit: Is that mobo the same one you had before? If not u might wanna make sure all drivers are removed and possibly format:edit:

OP
M

madrig

Registered
I was playing around with noise issues and unplugged the CPU fan for about 1/1000th of a second (well, really quickly anyway)
and the instant i turned my fan on my video went blank... same thing happens if i try to run a program that goes full screen or i dont uninstall my video card before booting windows...... so....?