• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wtf i got a camera now to show you? Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesman32

Looks like your video card is artifacting, if you're using one. What are the full specs on the PC? Check your VGA cable, clear the CMOS, check all PSU connections, take out your RAM and put it back in, run a memory testing program for errors. Start by listing your specs first though, and we'll go from there. I had a similar issue with a bad set of memory a few months ago.

OP
Deathhorse

Deathhorse

celeron 2.69 socket 478
2x512mb pc2100 samsung and a generic
on board graphics
300watt psu
cooler master cpu cooler

dont have any blank cds to do memtest

did all the others still happens.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Probably needs a new video card. Hopefully that compaq has an AGP slot.

jamesman32

You can run a program like Prime95, which will test both your CPU and memory for stability. That should tell you pretty fast whether or not it's a memory/cpu issue.

OP
Deathhorse

Deathhorse

lol prime causes that to happen an there is no AGP slot there a little dotted diagram of one but no slot.

whats the cheapest pci card i can buy for this unit>

jamesman32

Doing a small upgrade might actually be cheaper. PCI GPUs are few and far between, and damn expensive for what you get. Plus, if Prime causes the artifacts, it may be your RAM. How long did you run it, and did it have any errors?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187084
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161283

Are your options for semi current cards. If you just want something extremely cheap, this might work

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161011

Theocnoob

lol prime causes that to happen an there is no AGP slot there a little dotted diagram of one but no slot.

whats the cheapest pci card i can buy for this unit>

Just buy an off lease P4 or pentium Dsystem for $99 and reuse your current hard drive.

That guarantees you'll solve the problem.

Another option is get a new, current mobo/CPU/case/RAM combo.

$50 mobo $50 CPU $50 case $40 RAM reuse your HD and optical and PSU.

jamesman32

Just buy an off lease P4 or pentium Dsystem for $99 and reuse your current hard drive.

That guarantees you'll solve the problem.

Another option is get a new, current mobo/CPU/case/RAM combo.

$50 mobo $50 CPU $50 case $40 RAM reuse your HD and optical and PSU.

I'd provide links for him, because even though most anything is an upgrade, it probably won't be that cheap.

OP
Deathhorse

Deathhorse

not my computer so buying a bunch of parts is kind of silly cause there a poor family.

anyways i think i would buy a similar setup and gut it to get rid of the problem all together.

thinking a $30 pci card is a start they got a fx5200 at frys for 29.99 minus 10 for rebate

know any software that i can test ram while windows is running?

jamesman32

Prime will do that. So will Intel Burn Test, which I like because it can usually tell you within a few minutes at most. Any CPU stress program will usually also check RAM.