• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF, I thought this stuff could do more

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f00t

I just got some dual channel pc3500 (2x256mb with cu heatspreaders and all). the proble is that the damn thing WON'T even do 200fsb at 2/2/5/2/t-1 timings even with the ram at 3.2v. This seems more like pc2700 to me instead of pc3500. What has me baffled is that the ram is running in my KR7A mobo (only has a 1/4 divider) and thus I don't know if the mobo is to blame or the ram. but I am strongly leaning towards the ram because PC3500 SHOULD NOT TAKE 3.2V AND NOT DO 200FSB FAST TIMINGS.

would you suggest returning this ram as it seems to be poop

btw: the kr7a can do 210fsb np/ cpu-z recognizes the ram as pc 2700.

Juiblex79

Registered
Sounds like you got some generic ram there, if not please specify what you got. But with generic ram you can never tell what you’re going to get. If it runs at the default settings (speed, timings, and voltage) there is nothing wrong with the ram, its doing what is required of it. You may just have got a batch that doesn’t overclock well, more likely to happen with generic ram. If it doesn’t work at the default settings they RMA, you got some defective ram.

OP
f00t

f00t

its default speed is 217fsb. it wont even do 210 stable at the highest timings at 3.2v

flapperhead

yep.. i got some pc4000 that will do 290+ 1-1 @ 2.5-6-4-4. will also do 2-3-3-5 at 225. wont even [email protected] 2-2-2-5 at 200..sound screwy? not really, it depends on the chips and what they were designed for. take off the heatspreaders if u can, and see what chips they are. that will give u an idea of their latency capabilities....

larva

Inactive Moderator
You also need to be just the slightest bit realistic about your motherboard. I am the last person on earth to fret over PCI speeds, as my experience has been that this is simply just a catch-all excuse used when the real problem is not known. But with a 1/4 divisor you are running a 50MHz PCI speed at 200fsb, and this is in 99.9% of all cases unworkable. I have seen 1 KR7A make 200fsb, but this is hardly a realistic expectation on the whole. In general anything beyond 45MHz PCI is completely unworkable.

Additionally, if you are seeking realistic and useful advice concerning your ram, it would be ever so advantageous if you might tell us what it is.